Comlex only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akecheta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do any programs accept comlex scores only?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Many DOs apply with only COMLEX. A few programs not DO friendly but that has nothing to do with COMLEX and they'll never admit it (we just know by word of mouth and by looking at their housestaff over the years)

Yes. Many DOs apply with only COMLEX. A few programs not DO friendly but that has nothing to do with COMLEX and they'll never admit it (we just know by word of mouth and by looking at their housestaff over the years)
Want to help us out with which programs those are so we know what to avoid??

Members don't see this ad :)
Want to help us out with which programs those are so we know what to avoid??
I would say that these types of programs are becoming more rare so just apply where you want to go. Even some of the ones that were DO unfriendly when I was applying to residencies recently either took DO residents or fellows. When it comes to fellowships, there's less of that anti-DO bias which isn't that prevalent in pathology vs other specialties. From what I've seen, there's more of a bias against taking FMGs (regardless of whether this practice is right or wrong).

I took USMLE Step 1 but not Step 2. All my other tests are COMLEX. In general, I've found that the ~10 programs I've interviewed with, none require the USMLE. However, one institution I interviewed at hasn't taken a DO in the past 30 residents over 8 years. The PD there even asked me how to interpret the COMLEX scores for her because she didn't understand them. Then she asked me to take the USMLE Step 2 so she can better compare my scores.

Certainly not common but, there are some programs. Sorry, no disclosures until I match.