Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petomed

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you feel your committee is failing you, who can you talk to without further damaging your relationship with your committee? The committee holds all the keys, as that's where all LOR's have been sent. All if's, why's, but's aside--is there anyone that the committee reports to that I can contact without destroying my hopes of medical school this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Contact your LORs and have them sent to interfolio and use interfolio to send to AMCAS or AACOMAS. I had a similar situation to yours. Went this route and none of the schools I interviewed ask about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Contact your LORs and have them sent to interfolio and use interfolio to send to AMCAS or AACOMAS. I had a similar situation to yours. Went this route and none of the schools I interviewed ask about it.
Thanks for the reply. How long did you wait before notifying your LOR's to repeat their acts of kindness?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. How long did you wait before notifying your LOR's to repeat their acts of kindness?
I'm sure they still have a copy if it's recent. So ASAP or at least give them a deadline to resubmit because if you don't give them a deadline... They WILL forget about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above commenter. Bypass them. Get individual LOR from faculty, physicians, PI, etc. Some faculty and physicians really do want to help. It might facilitate matters to offer to your letter writers to write a sample letter and send with your resume, publications, transcripts, if warranted. its a pity this is happening. My letter writers wrote their letters on typewriters back in the day, and it was an overall enjoyable, exciting experience. Forward and onward!
Thanks for the reply. One issue I have is that I've been out of school for some time now and was only able to secure one science faculty letter, and this person isn't even teaching anymore. Many schools have a requirement of two science faculty letters OR a committee letter. Without the committee letter, I will not meet the minimum LOR requirements in this regard. Additionally, I've already sent out several secondaries where it was required to indicate the letter writers and in each instance, I selected the committee as the LOR.

I'm feeling quite hung out to dry here and we're talking about thousands of dollars on the line. Is there really no way to nudge the committee indirectly and anonymously? It's not right that they're pushing a product like this when it works against the students they advertise to be helping. I'd like to prevent other students from this experience if possible.

what's the committee doing that is failing you?

do you have another sTEMMIe teacher? what about a non-stem but also non-lecture person who knows you?

what's the committee doing that is failing you?

do you have another sTEMMIe teacher? what about a non-stem but also non-lecture person who knows you?
Dodging emails, not returning phone calls, not telling me about certain forms they require, but most importantly--not uploading their committee letter after they agreed to do so.

Update:
It took over a month, but they finally uploaded.

It's still a bit concerning that there doesn't seem to be any measure of accountability without toasting yourself. But I suppose that's just academia and merely a prelude to what's to come in medical school / residency. Not the feeling of 'being failed', but the inability to change what is.