Common Acronyms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agammaglobulin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started CA-1 year and am being exposed to the never ending supply of acronyms related to our field. The two I find most useful are MSMAID (machine, suction, monitors, airway, IV, drugs) and DOD MSM for airway eval (thyromental Distance, Opening of mouth, Dentition, Mallampati, Subluxation of mandible, range of Motion).

Any others people like?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I get settled and want to make sure I'm not missing anything:
Airway
Breathing
Circulation
Drugs
Effluent
Fluids
Gas
Heat
Injury
Jacka**es (what are the surgeons doing?)

Members don't see this ad :)
SALTI
Suction
Airway
Laryngoscope
Tube
IV

When you're heading to the nether-regions of the hospital to intubate someone, particularly as a CA-1, running this in your mind will give you a minute to pause and ensure that you don't proceed prematurely. Even in private practice now, I find myself thinking of these things before induction for routine cases--particularly with respect to suction and IV. 50% of the time, I find air in the pediatric line or a suction canister cap that is uncapped...probably because the circulating staff in the rooms are often rushing to turn the room over quickly.

Not a big deal in most cases but when it matters...

I learned that as MOFAT, probably the same day I learned that to get an accurate time estimate from an orthopod, double what they say and add 30 minutes.

Does this rule apply to estimated blood loss by the surgeons?

Don't forget it also applies to how soon that rumored case that's being transferred from an outside facility actually arrives.