Common error themes in Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MercifulDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been doing TPR hyperlearning passages for Gchem and I find myself getting destroyed quite frequently. My mistakes are mainly misreading the question (eg. it asks which atom will have a shorter half-life Be-10 or C-10 and I pick Be-10 thinking that it said longer half-life but the answer is C10), and not remembering what it said in a passages (the little things that it says that can help to solve a question), or not knowing how to solve a question that tells you how to solve in the passage.

I was hoping someone could give me tips on how to improve on my weak points, because I have no clue how to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been doing TPR hyperlearning passages for Gchem and I find myself getting destroyed quite frequently. My mistakes are mainly misreading the question (eg. it asks which atom will have a shorter half-life Be-10 or C-10 and I pick Be-10 thinking that it said longer half-life but the answer is C10), and not remembering what it said in a passages (the little things that it says that can help to solve a question), or not knowing how to solve a question that tells you how to solve in the passage.

I was hoping someone could give me tips on how to improve on my weak points, because I have no clue how to do it.
Welcome to my life. I HAD issues like you, but I fixed the majority of the careless errors from taking FLs. But I realized that there's also no such thing as a careless error. Most of my "careless" mistakes actually came from me not knowing some part of the content and then going "Oh YEAH dude that's how it is". That doesn't fly

Go back to content review and fix all the mistakes. Know the material cold.

Reactions: 1 user

Read all science passages like verbal passages - i.e. main idea, location of info, anticipating questions. Also rephrase convoluted questions in your own words.
And obviously thoroughly review.

Thanks for your help guys!

Welcome to my life. I HAD issues like you, but I fixed the majority of the careless errors from taking FLs. But I realized that there's also no such thing as a careless error. Most of my "careless" mistakes actually came from me not knowing some part of the content and then going "Oh YEAH dude that's how it is". That doesn't fly

Go back to content review and fix all the mistakes. Know the material cold.

So for example, I just finished doing every passage in TPRH SW about atom decay, half-life, spdf orbitals, etc, you are saying that all of the questions I marked as wrong to go back and redo them? That is going to take so much time (I don't mind that it will take alot of time, just afraid to fall behind lol in studying).

Read all science passages like verbal passages - i.e. main idea, location of info, anticipating questions. Also rephrase convoluted questions in your own words.
And obviously thoroughly review.

I was wondering what do you mean thoroughly reveiew? I have a notebook were I write notes explaining or clarifying material that I struggle with. Or I read the answer and try to understand the answer. And sometimes my head begins to hurt lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

So for example, I just finished doing every passage in TPRH SW about atom decay, half-life, spdf orbitals, etc, you are saying that all of the questions I marked as wrong to go back and redo them? That is going to take so much time (I don't mind that it will take alot of time, just afraid to fall behind lol in studying).

I was wondering what do you mean thoroughly reveiew? I have a notebook were I write notes explaining or clarifying material that I struggle with. Or I read the answer and try to understand the answer. And sometimes my head begins to hurt lol.

Make 2 lists: content review and test-taking mistakes. Put your mistakes in each accordingly and for content mistakes read corresponding topic from textbook; for test-taking try out different strategies: some prefer reading the passage and some prefer not reading it at all.

No no. I'm saying, understand where you made your mistakes in these passages and figure out whether you literally misread a question or not. If you made a mistake that wasn't a misreading of a question, then you should go back into you content and review.

No no. I'm saying, understand where you made your mistakes in these passages and figure out whether you literally misread a question or not. If you made a mistake that wasn't a misreading of a question, then you should go back into you content and review.

Oh I see. After doing a question, I immediately check it and see if I got it wrong or not. Most mistakes are either becasue: 1) I misread the question or 2) i didn't read the passage carefully enough and forgot something important. How do I deal with this?

Oh I see. After doing a question, I immediately check it and see if I got it wrong or not. Most mistakes are either becasue: 1) I misread the question or 2) i didn't read the passage carefully enough and forgot something important. How do I deal with this?
Is that supposed to be a sarcastic comment?
I said to you: " figure out whether you literally misread a question or not."

If you literally misread a question by someone replacing "would not" with "would" in a question, then it's not a big deal as long as you knew how to answer the question.

If it's not that kind of mistake, then you've got some content somewhere missing even though it may be a careless error. Basically I am telling you that you can eliminate all your careless mistakes if you: 1. Read carefully & 2. Know all the information down cold.