Communication from programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charmed2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...after interviews? Is this common in recruiting potential residents?

It's difficult to know if an email is significant because they might send one to every interviewee... on the other hand, if we don't hear from a school is this a bad sign?

This whole process seems so unpredictable.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that this is really confusing!

I will say that I've been to a couple of interviews where they explicitly state that they will not contact you for any reason between the interview and match day. They like to "honor the match" and don't want to "play games."

On the other hand, I know 2 residents in Ob/Gyn (PGY-1 and PGY-3) that told me they got letters, phone calls, and one even had a printout shown to her with her name on the list, for programs. Unfortunately, these 2 ranked these schools #1-3, and didn't even match at those places.

That leads me to believe that programs are sending out letters to more than the number of spots they intend to fill.

Just my $0.02, and I'm in the same positiion as you! I figure I'll rank where I really want to be #1, and not worry about trying to rank somewhere that I think will rank me #1 (because they sent me a letter) higher.