Communication post acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joygirl22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some students from my new lab recently reached out to me expressing their excitement that I will be joining them and asking what questions I have. I asked about housing and they offered some advice, but I really feel like I don't have any questions for the students. The school hasn't even finalized the schedule or tuition rates for next school year so I'm really just waiting for further direction from the department.

Are there any questions I should ask or things I should discuss with the students in my lab at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you from? What are you interested in both in and out of psychology? What are you thinking about doing career wise? What's your astrological sign? Well, maybe the last one is questionable. Or you could just wait till you meet them. That is what I did and eventually solid collegial relationships were formed. It really all boils down to your own communication style.

That's a nice gesture. I wouldn't read any more into it. Hopefully your lab mates will be a good resource to help you find a place to live and get settled in the area. Once you've started your program you'll have many questions, but for now don't feel obligated unless you are genuinely curious about something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any questions I should ask or things I should discuss with the students in my lab at this point?

Living arrangements/best places of town to live/best apt complexes (or whatever depending on your living situation). Then jump on that; the good ones get taken up quick when freshmen invade.

They're just being nice though, you don't have to ask questions just to ask them.

Our lab always does that and we don't really expect/care if people ask questions, though I think we do like when they do because we get to chat with them more :) I would just ask about housing and when people typically move, but other than that I wouldn't be worried about coming up with other questions if you genuinely don't have any.