Community College Classes for MPH Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mfg1020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last May with my bachelor's, but am interested in getting an MPH. I'm looking into community college classes that would be good to get a recommendation from. I went to a large school and it was difficult to form any relationships with professors which I'm hoping to do in the smaller community college classes. What types of classes would be good to take?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm... Writing letters of recommendation is part of their job. If it was me, I would try to reestablish a relationship with your previous professors. A lot of them have thousands of students a year, so they'll just claim to not remember you, but will ask for information about you. Try going back to your university (if you still live near it) and speaking to them. Going in person may help you a lot. You can also try getting a reference from a school counselor as well.

The LORs that I scored remembered me, but I had a close relationship with two of my professors and I let it be known ahead of time that I was going to apply for a MPH during 2014 for the '15-'16 year (I graduated in '13, mind you). I'm also a bit neurotic so I'm always overly prepared.

Try communicating with your old professors first. Make sure to ask for a POSITIVE LOR, you don't want a crappy letter screwing up your application. Also, during the application process do not say you had problems forming a relationship with professors at your older school due to the large class size, that may ruin your application. The admissions folk do not like excuses.

I completely agree with oceanhue. You'll want to try and give them something to jog their memory, like papers from your class with them, an updated CV, and your statement of purpose. Remind them of the overall grade you got in the class (I also wouldn't recommend professors for classes in which you didn't get an A). Also let them know about something you really liked about their class (fluffs the ego and lets them know your purpose for asking them). After all that (even if they don't remember you at all), they'll have something to go off.

Also, most schools allow (and some even require), professional recommenders (e.g. employers or supervisors). If you have any health-related work or volunteer experience, that would probably be an even more valuable reference than a community college lecturer, as it is more relatable to work in the public health field.

But if you're dead set on not doing any of that, I'd take impressive quantitative classes (i.e. Calculus or Linear Algebra) which will prove your ability to master the skills necessary to succeed in biostatistics and epidemiology. Sit up in the front, make a great impression, and get an A+. Lastly (and I doubt you'll have too much luck at a community college, but you never know), you could take psychology or sociology research or methods classes which are conducted by professors who are doing current research in their field. Read their publications and approach them after lecture to inform them of your interest in their work in the field of [blank] and let them know you're very anxious to gain some research experience. Even if you find any, they probably won't offer anything until you pass their class with a high A, but, hey, it's something.