Community College Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICanSee123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a senior undergrad student completing my last semester and will be applying to optometry school this summer. I took a few of the pre-reqs for optometry schools at a community college and I was wondering will that in anyway hurt/discredit my application? Im trying really hard to get into ICO's program. Did anyone have a similar experience? If so, how did it work out? Did you get accepted? Please, any information on ICO will help.
Thank you in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I already have my BA from almost 10 years ago, so I am taking all of my prerequisites at a community college. I know that they say that it has a slight negative effect, however I don't believe that it is a big deciding factor. I have not had any of my interviews yet, so we'll see, but I don't believe that it will have a strong influence.

I'm pretty sure they can't be taken at community colleges I believe it states that on the web sote

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess you can for Ico but most schools you cant

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 42
Taking pre-reqs at an accredited community college is generally fine. When I was accepted to Berkeley and SCCO last cycle, both schools were willing to accept community college courses. I took Microbiology with lab + an online psychology class through the local community college and those were fine. I received an interview invite to ICO last cycle too (but declined it) and they were willing to accept those classes as well. Taking a few community college classes shouldn't really affect your chances considering you've completed most of your classes at a 4-year institution.

To ensure those community college classes will meet the requirements though, you should email ICO and any other schools you're interested in. Send them the course description of the community college courses and ask if those classes will be sufficient.

most schools do accept, but more competitive schools don't really like the idea of taking it at a CC.
As long as your gpa, OAT scores are high and you have good extracurricular activities, volunteering, shadowing, experiences etc you should be fine.

Thank you all so much! I appreciate your responses. I hope everything works out!