Community Practice Daily Scope Volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slopes23

Parlors & Poop Shoots
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to see if anyone has anecdotal data on what the daily scope volume looks like from a single endo suite perspective in community practice. I’m thinking 16 scopes daily per suite seems reasonable? Not sure if this is high or low, but thinking 30 min per procedure, operational 10 hrs a day but effective only 8hrs a day when considering turnover time balanced against the time savings when you have an upper/lower and complete in <45 min. Perhaps I am being overly optimistic and it’s more like 12-14 scopes?

Trying to do some backwards revenue projections on ASC modeling.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
depends on turnover time and overall culture. well run endo centers do 20 a day(20 min EGD, 30 min colons). Poor run can be 10 or under.

reasonable expectation is 15-18

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for confirming.

Separate question - How common is it to share suite space with other specialties in an attempt to maximize use? Other than higher capital costs to outfit the suite for multi-specialty use, it seems like it could be lucrative to involve other specialties (ortho/plastics/gen surg/or even ophtho), especially when their facilities fees can be substantially higher (save for maybe ophtho’s) than those for endoscopic procedures. What am I missing or is this actually common practice and I just don’t know it?

I’m ultimately interested in starting my own practice and ASC(s). Presuming capital expense funding isn’t an issue, my biggest concern is reaching initial critical mass to get busy enough to grow/cover costs. With the back log of cases that exist these days, is this really such a challenge? I know that health care systems are intentionally siloed and refer within their own system so I wonder about how to get rooted in.

I’m very interested in bringing private practice(s) back in control in physicians and away from PE and have some interesting ideas to that effect to be a differentiator but just mainly worry about establishing that initial critical mass of patients from which to have room to breath/grow. Any experience/thoughts to this effect would be welcome. Am open to DM’s if prefer to have more private conversations.

Thanks

Last edited: