Community work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l0st1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any of you practicing psychiatrists involved in your community? What sort of work do you do? I would very much like to be involved in my community anywhere from kids sports teams, to the local library, city council, film societies, cultural center, etc.

Obviously this is very dependent on each individual but I am wondering if psychiatrists in general are more withdrawn from society or are they involved in these activities? Or are psychiatrists even more likely to become involved in such activities?

Members don't see this ad.

The residents I trained with back east seem more reserved. I'm in Venice Beach, and it's a totally different atmosphere.

I'm the president of a homeowners association. PM if you have any questions.

psychiatrists, family physicians, and pediatricians are the most likely to be involved in community, social justice, civic engagement stuff as far physicians go. i am not sure what this looks like compared the general population
Agree with this.

Compared to our fellow medical colleagues, we have much more free time to get involved in such activities.

Compared to the general population we have much, much more disposable income.

Members don't see this ad :)
I start at home first before trying to save the world/country/state/county/neighborhood.
I would too, except that I have more luck with the county/neighborhood.

Reactions: 1 user