Commuting between NYC Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocokoko

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the commute between different NYC programs? My significant other is in Anes at NYU. I am looking at Cornell and Columbia for Anes. If I were to go to Cornell, I would prefer to live in Cornell housing. Just wondering uf anyone has any experience on how the commute would be. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone comment on the commute between different NYC programs? My significant other is in Anes at NYU. I am looking at Cornell and Columbia for Anes. If I were to go to Cornell, I would prefer to live in Cornell housing. Just wondering uf anyone has any experience on how the commute would be. Thanks!
Google Maps is your friend. There is a public transit option there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done this though? I've checked out google maps but sometimes depending on traffic, etc., not sure how reliable google maps is. Just wanted to hear from people who live in NYC or who have done this before...

Has anyone done this though? I've checked out google maps but sometimes depending on traffic, etc., not sure how reliable google maps is. Just wanted to hear from people who live in NYC or who have done this before...

Hopstop.com is pretty accurate. put in the time and stuff and it gives you a rough estimate of how long it takes to get to difference places. and honestly manhattan is so tiny, you can walk a lot of it

I used google maps exclusively on a trip to Chicago last spring. It integrated the bus system and the El so we never had any issue figuring out where we needed to be and when. Very worth it for that city. Could only imagine it would be as good for New York. As for driving and the traffic function, it seems to work ok at times in my small midwest city. Did not pay attention to the phone when I was driving into Chicago though ;).

It's a very easy and straightforward commute. That being said getting from Cornell door to door to NYU might take up to ~30mins. You can either walk the 3-4 blocks to the 6 train that takes ~10 mins or so, then the 6 train down 4-stops and then another 10 minute walk to NYU. There is a direct bus going down as well. Lots of variations but totally doable. Columbiagets more inconvenient IMO.