Commuting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KCT15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to be commuting in to school rather than living on or near campus? Is this a reasonable thing to do?

I haven't even been accepted anywhere yet, but I only applied to Chicago area schools. I live outside of Chicago and am hoping to commute in. Probably by train. Either that or driving in very early and driving home after the traffic calms down. I have a family so I would prefer not to have to move.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone going to be commuting in to school rather than living on or near campus? Is this a reasonable thing to do?

I haven't even been accepted anywhere yet, but I only applied to Chicago area schools. I live outside of Chicago and am hoping to commute in. Probably by train. Either that or driving in very early and driving home after the traffic calms down. I have a family so I would prefer not to have to move.

Commuting is common, since not every school has housing in or around the campus. Just be prepared for early mornings and late nights.

Most people "commute", since there is rarely organized med school housing. If you mean staying with parents and commuting, I am sure there people that do it. You can still meet people:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on commuting my first 2 years - about a 45 minute drive, which isn't bad for the D.C. Metro area. It'll mean I have to get up a half an hour earlier than most of my classmates, which doesn't sound that bad to me. And since classes are over at noon or 3pm most days, I shouldn't be getting home too late most of the time.

Commuting is common, since not every school has housing in or around the campus. Just be prepared for early mornings and late nights.

Right now I commute 1 hour (Mapquest says 45 minutes) to my undergraduate school. Two of the schools I want to goto in Florida are 1.5 hours away from my home according to Mapquest. Is this amount of commuting common? I already regret wasting 2 hours on the road each day (not to mention the exorbitant tolls and gasoline costs), and would think that 3 hours each day during medical school would be 3 hours of critical studying time down the toilet.

Right now I commute 1 hour (Mapquest says 45 minutes) to my undergraduate school. Two of the schools I want to goto in Florida are 1.5 hours away from my home according to Mapquest. Is this amount of commuting common? I already regret wasting 2 hours on the road each day (not to mention the exorbitant tolls and gasoline costs), and would think that 3 hours each day during medical school would be 3 hours of critical studying time down the toilet.

an hour commute each way by train..20min if i hit the gas pedal by car..sometimes a waste sitting on the train if you tend to doze off pretty quickly..but usually i just read notes while i'm sitting there if distractions are few though

I live in Chicago and plan to commute to the school that I get into (hopefully). On my Loyola interview, the tour guide said that a lot of people commute. The only issue is that this gets arduous after a while. Think about when you were studying late night and just wanted to go and crash... I plan on making some good friends on/near campus where I can stay the night if really necessary.

I am from the Chicago area (Lemont) and if I do decide to go to a Chicago school, I am seriously considering commuting (family and money reasons). I think it is possible, I knew a few people who did so If the first year is too stressful for me, I'll probably find my own place in the city for MII.

I'm planning on commuting my first 2 years - about a 45 minute drive, which isn't bad for the D.C. Metro area. It'll mean I have to get up a half an hour earlier than most of my classmates, which doesn't sound that bad to me. And since classes are over at noon or 3pm most days, I shouldn't be getting home too late most of the time.

Hey Lulu8...what do you think about taking the Metro into D.C. for med school? Specifically from Northern Virginia-area? I'm really hoping to get into a D.C. med for location reasons and I'm wondering about commuting in that form.

On a side note, you're going to be able to drive into D.C. to med school in 45 minutes?

1) So is the Metro just not a feasible form of transit to the school?
2) That's absolutely remarkable in D.C.

Hey Lulu8...what do you think about taking the Metro into D.C. for med school? Specifically from Northern Virginia-area? I'm really hoping to get into a D.C. med for location reasons and I'm wondering about commuting in that form.

On a side note, you're going to be able to drive into D.C. to med school in 45 minutes?

1) So is the Metro just not a feasible form of transit to the school?
2) That's absolutely remarkable in D.C.

Heya boo-yeh. Actually, I'm going to be commuting from near DC (Bethesda, MD) to UMD in Baltimore - hence the driving. Taking the metro into DC from NoVA or Bethesda, MD or Silver Spring, MD is totally do-able. And no, I would NOT recommend driving into D.C.! Driving up to Baltimore works because the traffic is all going in the opposite direction.

I'll be commuting 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. It's not fun commuting (did the same for undergrad) but I'll be able to save $$$ living at home. I'm thinking the benefits outway the costs; free room, laundry done, home cooked meal every night...mmm spagetti....

Heya boo-yeh. Actually, I'm going to be commuting from near DC (Bethesda, MD) to UMD in Baltimore - hence the driving. Taking the metro into DC from NoVA or Bethesda, MD or Silver Spring, MD is totally do-able. And no, I would NOT recommend driving into D.C.! Driving up to Baltimore works because the traffic is all going in the opposite direction.

Oh sorry I misunderstood your post. Thanks for the info though! UMD is a great school, congrats.

I live about 40 miles SW of Chicago. I am new to the area...any idea what time I would have to hit the road to beat rush hour traffic in the morning? Same question for afternoon/evening.

Unfortunately when I refer to family I'm not talking about parents. I wouldn't save a whole lot doing to commuting thing. I just don't want to have to move again...and I really love my house and would not be able to afford anything like it closer to Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh sorry I misunderstood your post. Thanks for the info though! UMD is a great school, congrats.

Thanks! I'm excited about it. Good luck to you - I hope you get in somewhere in D.C.

Most people "commute", since there is rarely organized med school housing. If you mean staying with parents and commuting, I am sure there people that do it. You can still meet people:D

The thought of moving back in next month (because my roommie is moving, and if I get in this year I'd have to go hunt down some crazy 7 month lease), is already making me annoyed beyond belief.

If I had to live at home for another 4 years I think I'd go insane.

Do not live with your parents during med school. I'm sure some people have done it, but come on. Don't be that guy. If at all possible suck it up and live off of beans and rice or whatever it takes to get a place on your own. You don't want to be Dr. Mc40yearoldVirgin. :thumbdown:

Do not live with your parents during med school. I'm sure some people have done it, but come on. Don't be that guy. If at all possible suck it up and live off of beans and rice or whatever it takes to get a place on your own. You don't want to be Dr. Mc40yearoldVirgin. :thumbdown:

Haha point duly taken. I don't think everyone that wants to commute on this thread is specifically interested in living with their parents. I love D.C. and have some family members who have a house in No VA that they just rent out, meaning I'd get some free housing for a couple of years, living in the city in which I want to live. Not to mention that I love two of the D.C. schools...

Haha point duly taken. I don't think everyone that wants to commute on this thread is specifically interested in living with their parents. I love D.C. and have some family members who have a house in No VA that they just rent out, meaning I'd get some free housing for a couple of years, living in the city in which I want to live. Not to mention that I love two of the D.C. schools...

That sounds like a sweet deal. Free housing (and still being on your own) would really free up some money for other things. Hope it works out for you. :thumbup:

the impression that I got from both BU and Tufts is that most students commute.....but students live with other students, and not with mommy and daddy

in downstate, however, many students do live with family

Just throwing that out there....

the impression that I got from both BU and Tufts is that most students commute.....but students live with other students, and not with mommy and daddy

in downstate, however, many students do live with family

Just throwing that out there....

No fair, I'm supposed to be the only fish with legs. :(

Still trying to act out against your parents? Some people have the maturity to accept that family is an important part of life and that independence is not defined by being away from family. Sometimes we have obligations to help out the family. I personally like eating real dinners rather than ramen noodles, but I guess that's your personal preference. Not to mention my room and board is zero dollars. I know it is expensive but I may be able to afford it if I work three jobs in medical school and take out extra loans.

Regardless, 4 years from now I will have my MD at the age of 26. We do have motor vehicles in the modern age that allow us to do pretty much whatever we want independent of parents since they accept that you are an adult. I may or may not move out before then. Chances are if I haven't then I will buy an apartment or something with my girlfriend of 3.5 years and get married.

Sorry for the tone. :D

Not to mention that I love two of the D.C. schools...
Just 2? DC has 3 really great med schools!;)

To the person commuting to B'More from Bethesda, have you tried that commute during rush hour because for me (both to UMD and Hopkins) it definitely was not a 45 minute commute. With traffic, I'd say the morning commute will be at least an hour and the PM traffic when EVERYONE is trying to get out of B'more has been as long a 2 hours for me

Just 2? DC has 3 really great med schools!;)

To the person commuting to B'More from Bethesda, have you tried that commute during rush hour because for me (both to UMD and Hopkins) it definitely was not a 45 minute commute. With traffic, I'd say the morning commute will be at least an hour and the PM traffic when EVERYONE is trying to get out of B'more has been as long a 2 hours for me

I did try out the commute when I was going to both my UMD and JHU interview. One was at 8am and the other at 11am. Both times it was about 45/50 minutes with no traffic on I-95 (I hope this is the norm!). When I left in the afternoon the traffic still wasn't bad, but I left before 5pm (which I hope to do often during med school too, but I don't know if that'll be the case). How far do you live from the beltway in bethesda? Maybe that's the difference?

Still trying to act out against your parents? Some people have the maturity to accept that family is an important part of life and that independence is not defined by being away from family. Sometimes we have obligations to help out the family. I personally like eating real dinners rather than ramen noodles, but I guess that's your personal preference. Not to mention my room and board is zero dollars. I know it is expensive but I may be able to afford it if I work three jobs in medical school and take out extra loans.

Regardless, 4 years from now I will have my MD at the age of 26. We do have motor vehicles in the modern age that allow us to do pretty much whatever we want independent of parents since they accept that you are an adult. I may or may not move out before then. Chances are if I haven't then I will buy an apartment or something with my girlfriend of 3.5 years and get married.

Hey, relax G. Sounds like this is a sore subject. If you want to be all serious and all then yes, different people have different circumstances and living with parents may be the best or only option for some depending on circumstances. But just so you know, it would be silly to think that I am "acting out against my parents" and don't value family obligations considering that i'm 30 years old with 3 kids of my own, so I think you misread the intended tone of my previous post. Anyway, I think as a general rule I stand by what I said. All else being equal it really is better to move on and move out if at all possible, especially once one is well into their 20's (average age of M1's is like 24 right?). You can't have the cushy life forever, so it worth toughing it with the ramin noodles. My opinion is that it is important to experience life on your own before jumping into a new life with a spouse, but that just a personal opinion. Plus there is still the "being that guy" factor. But to each his own.

Best of luck to you. And try to relax friend, we're all just having some fun on here. After all, i'm just a silly fish with frog legs, so why get all upset over my opinion?

Hey, relax G. Sounds like this is a sore subject. If you want to be all serious and all then yes, different people have different circumstances and living with parents may be the best or only option for some depending on circumstances. But just so you know, it would be silly to think that I am "acting out against my parents" and don't value family obligations considering that i'm 30 years old with 3 kids of my own, so I think you misread the intended tone of my previous post. Anyway, I think as a general rule I stand by what I said. All else being equal it really is better to move on and move out if at all possible, especially once one is well into their 20's (average age of M1's is like 24 right?). You can't have the cushy life forever, so it worth toughing it with the ramin noodles. My opinion is that it is important to experience life on your own before jumping into a new life with a spouse, but that just a personal opinion. Plus there is still the "being that guy" factor. But to each his own.

Best of luck to you. And try to relax friend, we're all just having some fun on here. After all, i'm just a silly fish with frog legs, so why get all upset over my opinion?

Lol. I wasn't being that serious. That's why I apologized for the tone. :)

Anyway, I understand that I may be missing out on some kind of experience living at home for school, but I feel that I have matured without it. It kind of feels like I don't live at home sometimes anyway since I am at school all day and my parents are gone most of the time.

Lol. I wasn't being that serious. That's why I apologized for the tone. :)

Anyway, I understand that I may be missing out on some kind of experience living at home for school, but I feel that I have matured without it. It kind of feels like I don't live at home sometimes anyway since I am at school all day and my parents are gone most of the time.

I hear ya. I actually called my parents house home until I was probably about 23, but from about 21-23 I spent consistently decreasing time there. Finally just bit the bullet and rented an apartment (was so much better, even though I could come and go as I pleased ... its still not the same living with parents as living on your own). Got married about two years after that. Plus, it was a tough sell to have a bunch of guys over for poker, beer, and cigars in my parents living room or kitchen. Sounds like you have a plan though. So everything will work out one way or another.

lol easy for you to say, but my parents will essentially nag me over completely nonsensical things if I live at home. Plus, if you learn how to cook you don't need to eat ramen, I cook all the time and I haven't eaten ramen in years.

Then again living at home also means living in a 2 bedroom apartment for me, I guess if you have some massive mansion it wouldn't matter.

And maybe this is an asian thing, but my dad enjoys walking around in his underwear. Which I'm sure is exactly what would be best if I wanted to have people over lol

Not only is there the "that guy" factor, but I've come to realize that parents are not a helpful influence when it comes to being productive.

I am living at home while I apply, I am also taking a couple of evening classes. This is nice, but I have to get out of the house to study, I don't have the discipline to study at home. Unfortunately, I still get calls from my mom:

"Ok, I'm going home, I'll wait for you to start dinner"

"no, just eat without me."

"it's ok, I'll wait"

The scentiment it great; but, now I can't study late. This isn't something you can do when it is your job to study.

Also, personally, I'm going to try to keep the commute to ~10 min or less. I'm going to spend enough of my life staring at books. I don't need to waste it driving.

I did try out the commute when I was going to both my UMD and JHU interview. One was at 8am and the other at 11am. Both times it was about 45/50 minutes with no traffic on I-95 (I hope this is the norm!). When I left in the afternoon the traffic still wasn't bad, but I left before 5pm (which I hope to do often during med school too, but I don't know if that'll be the case). How far do you live from the beltway in bethesda? Maybe that's the difference?
Commuting into B'more was certainly better that the ride home. 95 wasn't really the problem, but I would take 495 to get there so maybe that's the difference. Still, commuting by car gets old VERY fast.

I will to live at home when rent alone in Boca costs $1K+/month plus paying for a private friggin med school. :mad:

Someone said not to "be that guy" that lives at home with his parents but I'd rather do that then pay $1K/month for rent alone (no utilities) plus having to pay for private med school tuition....is that clearer?

Someone said not to "be that guy" that lives at home with his parents but I'd rather do that then pay $1K/month for rent alone (no utilities) plus having to pay for private med school tuition....is that clearer?

Hey, everyone has their own preferences. If that is the decision that is best for you that is all that matters. You don't need to justify it to anyone. I think it is interesting though that some people that live with their parents seem so sensitive about it. But 1k in rent is nothing if you split it with some room mates like most students do. And private tuition or not, med school is just plain expensive regardless. If you have the money to pay it, then wow. Sounds like your already pretty set. I plan on taking out some serious loans.

I still think there is the "that guy" factor. But if you really want to be all serious about this, then I should ask do you really care what other people think? (I wouldn't). Do your thing man, however it is that you can do it. And for heaven's sake don't let yourself get angry about opinions on SDN (I noted your :mad: emoticon). Being really defensive also has the "that guy" factor. ;)

Hey, everyone has their own preferences. If that is the decision that is best for you that is all that matters. You don't need to justify it to anyone. I think it is interesting though that some people that live with their parents seem so sensitive about it. But 1k in rent is nothing if you split it with some room mates like most students do. And private tuition or not, med school is just plain expensive regardless. If you have the money to pay it, then wow. Sounds like your already pretty set. I plan on taking out some serious loans.

I still think there is the "that guy" factor. But if you really want to be all serious about this, then I should ask do you really care what other people think? (I wouldn't). Do your thing man, however it is that you can do it. And for heaven's sake don't let yourself get angry about opinions on SDN (I noted your :mad: emoticon). Being really defensive also has the "that guy" factor. ;)

I think it definitely depends what kind of person you are. If you want to go out and pick up girls at the bar... Well it's going to be a little difficult to bring them back home when your parents are there.

Just don't be the "that guy" who is socially removed from the class and takes himself so seriously that working with them isn't fun.

Too many of the "lives with his/her parents commuter" crowd was like that in UG.

lol I'd rather pay $1K a month...and in fact right now I'm paying $945 so it's pretty close as it is...just to keep away from the 'rents.

It's not that I don't love em, I'm still fairly close by, but...seriously when you're an adult and you have your own thing it's a headache trying to live with them, since they still think you're a 10 year old kid, whereas you've been away for years (at college).

Heck, from the beginning of my junior year, until the end of my senior year I was back home like, a total of 3 weeks, and that was because of winter break. So after being away that long...coming back home was...not fun.

Maybe your parents are more chill, but seriously...no. And come on, that extra $48,000 in loans...later on down the line you'll be able to pay that back in like a year or two.

I think it definitely depends what kind of person you are. If you want to go out and pick up girls at the bar... Well it's going to be a little difficult to bring them back home when your parents are there.

Definitely true. And thats just one thing. The little things add up too. Things that may not be evident until after being totally responsible for one's self. I don't care if it is December dang it, if I'm hot i'm putting on the air conditioning! ;)

Just don't be the "that guy" who is socially removed from the class and takes himself so seriously that working with them isn't fun.

Too many of the "lives with his/her parents commuter" crowd was like that in UG.

I agree. But then again, I am a parent. So maybe i'll be lame too :eek: Oh no!

Thats a big chunk of my point. Its difficult to truly be an adult without ever having had the sole responsibility for one's self. Sometimes this carries over socially as well. But then again the majority of M1's are younger than I, so perhaps my own perspective is the odd one.

No, living on your own definitely means you learn to grow the hell up. You gotta cook for yourself (unlike in college where they forced meal plans upon you), clean everything yourself (kitchen, bathroom, sweep, mop, laundry, etc), earn a damn living, pay all your bills, whatever.

Now, if you've already lived more or less on your own like this before, and you wanna move back home...well I guess you just don't realize how much clashing you're bound to have.

Seriously, people this age are out there getting married and having kids, there's just something not quite right with someone being 25 and still living with their parents. Sure, in a more communal society it wouldn't be a big deal, but here it's like we pride ourselves on being individualistic people who can survive on their own...and if you don't do that, people are just gonna treat you like a weirdo.

I guess some people might be able to pull it off without seeming socially ******ed, but seriously, you gotta just put yourself out there even though it sucks and you gotta pay. Or the next thing you know you'll finally finish med school, and be 27 and have never lived by yourself before. Nice.

Hey, everyone has their own preferences. If that is the decision that is best for you that is all that matters. You don't need to justify it to anyone. I think it is interesting though that some people that live with their parents seem so sensitive about it.

I am a female MSII. I live with my parents and commute about 1 hour to get to my school in Philadelphia. I would definitely recommend commuting by public transportation, as opposed to driving. On the train, I can sleep, study, cram, read, etc. (I sleep, mostly.) Driving would be a nightmare, and parking - forget it.

The biggest downside to commuting is that, sometimes, there are things that I MUST do on campus. For example, clinical skills sessions are mandatory, so I can't miss those. Some of our online quizzes have to be done on campus computers, which is a pain. Plus, especially in Philadelphia, SEPTA has a wonderful way of breaking down in the morning when I need to get to class.

Living at home is nice, but make sure that your family (esp. your kids) understands that you have to study a certain number of hours each day. If you're lucky, your family will be your biggest moral supporters, which will be a godsend. If you're not, they'll be a huge distraction.

Haemulon - It's kind of irritating to me when people say "oh, don't live at home, because you don't want to be THAT guy." It's not your fault, it's just that I heard it at least 100 times during the first month of school. People would look at me, incredulous, and say "You live with your parents?!?! What about your sex life?!" Then, after the final anatomy exam, when no one had had a sex life for 2 weeks, people stopped asking. Now, some people get jealous. "You get to eat real food?! And have clean clothes?!? And have built-in moral support nearby?!? Can I come live with you?" So it changes.

No, living on your own definitely means you learn to grow the hell up. You gotta cook for yourself (unlike in college where they forced meal plans upon you), clean everything yourself (kitchen, bathroom, sweep, mop, laundry, etc), earn a damn living, pay all your bills, whatever.

Now, if you've already lived more or less on your own like this before, and you wanna move back home...well I guess you just don't realize how much clashing you're bound to have.

Seriously, people this age are out there getting married and having kids, there's just something not quite right with someone being 25 and still living with their parents. Sure, in a more communal society it wouldn't be a big deal, but here it's like we pride ourselves on being individualistic people who can survive on their own...and if you don't do that, people are just gonna treat you like a weirdo.

I guess some people might be able to pull it off without seeming socially ******ed, but seriously, you gotta just put yourself out there even though it sucks and you gotta pay. Or the next thing you know you'll finally finish med school, and be 27 and have never lived by yourself before. Nice.

:thumbup: I agree with you. I had toned-down my quote just before you posted this though because I figured I would be flamed (people have been pretty sensitive to this even though I initially just made a comment as a playful joke). You make a great point about the being 27 and not ever having lived on your own though.

People would look at me, incredulous, and say "You live with your parents?!?! What about your sex life?!" Then, after the final anatomy exam, when no one had had a sex life for 2 weeks, people stopped asking. Now, some people get jealous. "You get to eat real food?! And have clean clothes?!? And have built-in moral support nearby?!? Can I come live with you?" So it changes.

Haha, well, there are definitely advantages to living at home admittedly. Personally though I only have half moral support, and half mental distress from my parents since I don't get along well with both of them (something that is actually not my fault since I try, but every time I bother trying it just ends up the same way-but I keep trying anyway).

Oh, and when you finally do manage to cram in time for a sex life...that just would work living at home, lol.

P.S. I lived on my own in college, because I was on scholarship and could afford it. No, living with my parents isn't perfect and rosy, but medical school has left me busy enough that I don't give a $hit about the trivial details about living with my parents. It's annoying to have my life dictated by the train schedule, but, eh - things could be worse. There are a lot of financial reasons to live with my parents (too hard to go into now, but they're serious, trust me), so the fact that I'm not taking out loans just to live in an apartment lets me sleep at night, so I can deal with it.

P.S. I lived on my own in college, because I was on scholarship and could afford it. No, living with my parents isn't perfect and rosy, but medical school has left me busy enough that I don't give a $hit about the trivial details about living with my parents. It's annoying to have my life dictated by the train schedule, but, eh - things could be worse. There are a lot of financial reasons to live with my parents (too hard to go into now, but they're serious, trust me), so the fact that I'm not taking out loans just to live in an apartment lets me sleep at night, so I can deal with it.

I don't know the details but if you lived in a dorm type setting, trust me that it's different than living elsewhere. If you lived off campus though, it'd be fairly similar I guess. But if you haven't live outside of a dorm or with your family before, well it's quite drastically different.

Anyways, to each his own I guess (or her in this case). But I dunno, once you develop your own rhythm for stuff it's just so hard to go back.

I'm not being defensive about living at home. I was just stating that I'd rather do that then take out more $ in loans. I live at home now for undergrad and it works out fine. I'm at school for as long as I need to be and then head home to a home cooked meal and clean laundry. :D Am I weird for not wanting to leave? Maybe, but I'm lucky cuz my family's pretty close and we get along well. I don't see it as a bad thing living there. Will I live at home forever? NO! :laugh: I'm a girl by the way. Eventually, my bf's supposed to come down here to live so my living arrangements might change then. For now it'll work though. :) :) :)

Oh and I wasn't really mad with the :mad: face I was just expressing my dislike at the high rent cost.

Haemulon - It's kind of irritating to me when people say "oh, don't live at home, because you don't want to be THAT guy." It's not your fault, it's just that I heard it at least 100 times during the first month of school. People would look at me, incredulous, and say "You live with your parents?!?! What about your sex life?!" Then, after the final anatomy exam, when no one had had a sex life for 2 weeks, people stopped asking. Now, some people get jealous. "You get to eat real food?! And have clean clothes?!? And have built-in moral support nearby?!? Can I come live with you?" So it changes.

First of all, congrats on your success in getting into medical school and making it through the first year! I am jealous to say the least. Hopefully I will be on my way as well soon.

I am sorry that you are irratated. But wow, lets all step back and put this in perspective. I make a joking comment about not being the 40year old virgin version of a doctor and a string of people living with their parents have gotten peeved off! Is it just that this time of season is so stressfull or am I really out of touch with the typical pre-med? (i'm guessing both). In any case, the fact that 100 people gave you the same response when you started at least gives a little creedance to my perspective.

Really, it boils down to what I said earlier. You should not care what other people think. Just do what is best for your self. At the same time though, you shouldn't really be upset for other people having their own perspectives and opinions though. To each his/her own. I wish you the best of luck in your studies. Now go out there and get you some! :horns: (just be sure to keep it quiet - hee hee)

Haha, well, there are definitely advantages to living at home admittedly. Personally though I only have half moral support, and half mental distress from my parents since I don't get along well with both of them (something that is actually not my fault since I try, but every time I bother trying it just ends up the same way-but I keep trying anyway).

Oh, and when you finally do manage to cram in time for a sex life...that just would work living at home, lol.

No, no - it was a private apartment. I did everything myself, short of sweeping the sidewalk.

It was hard to adjust living with my parents again - you're right about that. But so was adjusting to going to med school and adjusting to the cadaver lab, so, whatever. :) And to give my parents due credit, they never complained about the gross anatomy smell, even though I'm sure it seeped into my pores.

I should probably mention that my older sibling went to med school as well, so my parents are familiar with the whole process. If my parents were the type to ask "If the test is next week, why are you studying NOW?!", then I'd go insane. As it is, they totally understand the workload.

You know, my female friends tended to live at home a little longer than the guys. And the guys that do live at home already went and tried to find a house to live in before, but it kinda fell apart because I didn't have a job yet back then (so we couldn't afford the house).

So basically, only my female friends never tried to leave. Although, finally one of them managed to move out (but only because her fiance moved here heh).