COMP Class of 2008 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All this neuro stuff is a pain. Crazy anterolateral system.

Members don't see this ad.

ALS is the easy one. Just draw them out over and over until you get it.

instrumental said:
All this neuro stuff is a pain. Crazy anterolateral system.

Dhoh... I just got your joke. Stupid association cortices!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'll be starting soon and am thinking about potential places to live for this coming year. What are your takes of the Plaza apartments close to campus? WHat are good and bad things about it? I know I'll get many "ITS GHETTO" but I really wanna know specifics to why people dont like it: does your safety feel threatened? is it noisy?

:thumbup: :thumbdown:

jUxTaPoSiTiOn said:
Hey guys,

I'll be starting soon and am thinking about potential places to live for this coming year. What are your takes of the Plaza apartments close to campus? WHat are good and bad things about it? I know I'll get many "ITS GHETTO" but I really wanna know specifics to why people dont like it: does your safety feel threatened? is it noisy?

:thumbup: :thumbdown:

i know some people that live at plaza; one person moved out as soon as his 6 month lease was over; i live near claremont...10 minute drive; a lot of people live in chino, chino hills, etc.

plaza might seem convenient but it might be better to live a quick drive away

From what I remember when I lived there, certain areas of the complex in Plaza were a bit quieter and less sketchy than others. There were and still are numerous students that live in the complex.. some never have problems, others do. Overall, even as a guy, I sorta felt like I had to be a bit more cautious walking around at night if I parked outside or whatever, but I never had anything happen. Noise is variable depending on neighbors although you WILL have to deal with the train station nearby, but you get used to it after awhile. A lot of it is trying to weigh the benefits of waking up late and walking to class and back whenever you want plus saving money on gas vs. issues such as possible criminal activity or noise or whatever. What I can say is that if you find a roommate, you can get a cheaper place in Claremont or Chino Hills and still live only about 10 minutes away with more conveniences. Still, I don't regret living in Plaza my first two years of school.

I'm not sure if our class knows this...but I just checked the latest stats

but we class of 2008 have the 2nd highest MCAT average of all DO schools. Our average is 9.0 and the only one school that has it higher is TCOM(texas) with a 9.3

Just to put things into perspective of how much we rock, here are the scores of classes of 2008 from other schools:
TUCOM(SF) 8.1
PCOM 7.67
AZCOM 7.8
CCOM 7.9

It's a big improvement from before(i remember seeing something like a 8.2 for a class a few years back) and not that it means anything great but hopefully that gives us some motivation to work even harder to kick some major ass in the next 4 years to make ourselves and COMP proud.

Jinyaoysiu said:
I'm not sure if our class knows this...but I just checked the latest stats

but we class of 2008 have the 2nd highest MCAT average of all DO schools. Our average is 9.0 and the only one school that has it higher is TCOM(texas) with a 9.3

Just to put things into perspective of how much we rock, here are the scores of classes of 2008 from other schools:
TUCOM(SF) 8.1
PCOM 7.67
AZCOM 7.8
CCOM 7.9

It's a big improvement from before(i remember seeing something like a 8.2 for a class a few years back) and not that it means anything great but hopefully that gives us some motivation to work even harder to kick some major ass in the next 4 years to make ourselves and COMP proud.

our class is simply amazing! and that's why the administration is always praising us, because quite frankly WE ARE THE BEST CLASS SO FAR AT WESTERN! :D I'm sure we'll be setting the tone for future classes at western! so CLASS OF 2009, you guys better represent!!!!

now back to left on left forward torsion

It sucks to study for Neuro over spring break!!!! Ain't fair :p

here atlast said:
It sucks to study for Neuro over spring break!!!! Ain't fair :p

Now hush little Arlet, don't you cry
Everything's gonna be alright
Stiffen that upper lip up little D.O., I told ya
Daddy's here to hold, ya through the night
I know mommy's not here right now and we don't know why
We feel how we feel inside
It may seem a little crazy, pretty D.O.
But I promise, exam's gon' be alright
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

where's the crying smiley when you need it?

i guess this one will do: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
donvicious said:
Dude, how did you get your face to throw up? :confused:

Well I guess she had to use a combination of things...
I'm sure CN IX and X could have come in handy in terms of the gag reflex. I'm sure they also could have joined up with some of the cranial accessory nerve that joins up with X to help with the laryngeal and possibly some pharyngeal mm. I'm positive CN XII had something to do with it as well cuz the tongue does it's thing u know...shall i go on or do we all get the point?

sidenote...couple beers post-neuro exam could be as healthy for you as a cigarette is for a Parkinson's Patient...

wow i should sleep

peace :thumbup:

If I have any hair left by the time this system's done, I'll be amazed. Thankyou Neuro for helping me join the ranks of the Follicularly Challenged....

On a side note, did anyone else realize by studying the neurologic exam that they have unilateral sensory hearing loss? Or was that just me?

wow, we're geeks...

The best way to understand Neuro is to repeat the year. Better yet, go to podiatry school, take Neuro then go to DO school, take Neuro THEN take it one more time. I'm tellin' you, by the third time it's kind of a reflex thing.

There are other areas nearby that are fun to live in. I live in the Hollywood area (adjacent, so not too crazy) and commute every day (well, at least the days that my wife wakes up at the same time and can see whether or not I'm actually going to class). It takes about 45 minutes one way. The traffic is light both ways, so that isn't a problem. There's another guy in my class who commutes even further (from West L.A.). If you extend your search west towards Los Angeles, you'll have a lot more choice. There's West Covina, Pasadena, Los Feliz, etc.

As you can see from my signature, I am planning on attending TU-NV... today I received a letter from COMP though - an acceptance (I was previously waitlisted). I love everything about Touro-NV, but COMP was initially a top choice because of location (proximity to family and friends). I used to talk to Adapt from your school but he must have dropped :confused: Anyway, if COMP is close to your home, how often do you actually get the chance to visit? I't would be a 1 hour drive and I was thinking it would be nice to go home on weekends and study at my undergrad library. My heart was set on TU-NV but this location thing has me second-guessing now that I got accepted. So, how often do you visit home if your home is in SoCal?

Please feel free to PM me any opinions or advice about my position. Thank you so much in advance. :thumbup: Your help is truly appreciated :)

OnMyWayThere said:
As you can see from my signature, I am planning on attending TU-NV... today I received a letter from COMP though - an acceptance (I was previously waitlisted). I love everything about Touro-NV, but COMP was initially a top choice because of location (proximity to family and friends). I used to talk to Adapt from your school but he must have dropped :confused: Anyway, if COMP is close to your home, how often do you actually get the chance to visit? I't would be a 1 hour drive and I was thinking it would be nice to go home on weekends and study at my undergrad library. My heart was set on TU-NV but this location thing has me second-guessing now that I got accepted. So, how often do you visit home if your home is in SoCal?

Please feel free to PM me any opinions or advice about my position. Thank you so much in advance. :thumbup: Your help is truly appreciated :)

yeah unfortunately our boy Adapt has left us, but honestly it had nothing to do with the difficulty of the curriculum, but more like what he wanted to get out of medicine. I talked to him during the christmas break, and he seems to be happy with his decision to pursue something else besides medicine, so more power to him. I actually get to visit my family (parents, brother, sister, etc) about once every 1 1/2 - 2 months, depending on how the curriculum is. You see during first semester, I didn't think the curriculum was that bad, so I can say I had some free time, which I used for poker ;) and/or be with my family more often. Now that we are in systems based, seems like free time has decreased a little, but I still hang out with my poker boys and my family. In other words, you can make time for anything you want to do during med school, just gotta handle business first. I can honestly tell you that sometimes I spread myself too thin with the "extra-curricular" activities, but at the end it's all good! Best of luck in whatever decision you decide and if you come to western, we'll see you here!

P.S. TUCOM-NV is a brand new school, don't know how established the clinical rotations are there, but in my case, there's just no way I could have gone there for med school, too much temptation :p

Where is home for you and what campus would you end up studying at? Depending on what study environment you eventually find yourself being most productive, you could be studying in a number of different places. There are plenty of students at COMP who go home at least once a week if not more or other students who do live at home and commute to school. Location is a major factor (but definitely should not be the most deciding factor) as to why some students choose to attend COMP.

i live about an hour away from school as well and go home every weekend; on monday's we have exams i study at my local library or at home; it works out pretty well because for some reason i can't study on campus or at the school library, i pretty much get all my studying done on the weekends surprisingly at home
OnMyWayThere said:

OnMyWayThere said:
I't would be a 1 hour drive and I was thinking it would be nice to go home on weekends and study at my undergrad library. My heart was set on TU-NV but this location thing has me second-guessing now that I got accepted. So, how often do you visit home if your home is in SoCal?
:)

There are a few classmates that commute 45+mins one way to school, so how often do they visit home? everyday :) One even commutes from Hollywood. I don't think your 1hr would be a problem.

Congrats to your acceptance and good luck in making your decision.

Yup, I think I had a few classmates who commuted from west LA, south orange county, and even Ventura county. Of course, they tried to find things to do to occupy their drive such as listening to taped lectures or medical journals on tape...

sucks to hear what happend to Dr. Kahn...also sucks that people are blamming the OMS-I class for it. I hardly believe that we're are the real reason for his dismissal.

Another note: also sucks to hear that the OMS-II students are not happy about their rotations being all crappy. I hope next year will be better. Probably should bring back the lottory.

friedcfood said:
Another note: also sucks to hear that the OMS-II students are not happy about their rotations being all crappy. I hope next year will be better. Probably should bring back the lottory.

Yeah maybe the lottory system is better. There will still be people who don't get the slots/time they want, but at least they'll suck it up and blame their luck. I guess that's the real difference between the lottory system and with the school trying to please everybody, because they really can't.

Jinyaoysiu said:
Yeah maybe the lottory system is better. There will still be people who don't get the slots/time they want, but at least they'll suck it up and blame their luck. I guess that's the real difference between the lottory system and with the school trying to please everybody, because they really can't.

Lottery system worked well in the past from my limited experience. I think they had to go with the paradigm system for a number of different reasons including changes in the rotations schedule (adding of didactics, lengthening peds and ob/gyn to six weeks to match other schools, etc.) as well as trying to accomodate an increase in the size of the class. The paradigm system in itself... isn't a bad idea, but with the shifting around of administration in the clinical rotations department, the paradigms were developed too late I think without enough input from other constituents and that unfortunately fell on this second year's class. I sincerely hope they are able to work things out so that more people get their preferences this year. I think after major "kinks" are worked out, the second years for next year will have a better time around.

Had no idea about the Dr. Khan thing until one of your classmates showed me the petition. I would think it is somewhat unorthodox to dismiss a professor before the end of the academic year unless it were something more serious, but I am not jumping to conclusions yet. Dr. Khan has almost been with COMP since it began and has always been one of the biggest student advocates as well as a genuine friend for students. You can tell he cares about teaching students although it is difficult for students to understand his speech at times. We'll see what happens. (Don't do anything I wouldn't.)

gotta vent somehow my friend!

LifeLongPassion said:
gotta vent somehow my friend!

most true, which is why i have to keep my personal journal secret. bwaahaahaaaaha. although soon enough i'm gonna start promoting my new blog.

instrumental said:
Is anyone as unmotivated for this last test as I am?

as i write this i'm watching Return of the King extended version. so YES!

-E-
COMP 2008

DON'T FORGET PEOPLE!~
One of the best new shows on TV-->Grey's anatomy is on tonight at 10

instrumental said:
Is anyone as unmotivated for this last test as I am?

f*ck yeah! i haven't slacked off this much before an exam since UG. ahhh, the memories....

Is it OVER????!!!!????
IS IT REALLY REALLY OVER!???!!??

LifeLongPassion said:
Is it OVER????!!!!????
IS IT REALLY REALLY OVER!???!!??

For some I guess, but I have been selected for the the remedial course held this summer in Arkansas. The class is offered by invite only.

what are you talking about? dude

JMC_MarineCorps said:
For some I guess, but I have been selected for the the remedial course held this summer in Arkansas. The class is offered by invite only.

omg, if this med school thing doesn't work out, i think there might be a spot on passions for you.

it is over. until cardio. and respiratory. i'm mentally preparing to get my a$$ handed to me in those.

that dr. jack said:
omg, if this med school thing doesn't work out, i think there might be a spot on passions for you.

QUOTE]
that's not a nice thing to say :( dude I'm sure you did fine! Don't forget we got a bball game tomorrow! represent!

that dr. jack said:

it is over. until cardio. and respiratory. i'm mentally preparing to get my a$$ handed to me in those.

every time u say that and everytime u get handed a scholarship or a free hug from visiting clinicians...can't quite figure you out just yet.

JMC_MarineCorps said:
?Como las novelas?

si, es muy dramatica.

translation- you passed and you rule!!

?como se dice "jmc is the smartest boy in class"?

LifeLongPassion said:
every time u say that and everytime u get handed a scholarship or a free hug from visiting clinicians...can't quite figure you out just yet.

scholarships? free hugs? where? i want in on this action.

Dr. Don said:
that dr. jack said:

QUOTE]
that's not a nice thing to say :( dude I'm sure you did fine! Don't forget we got a bball game tomorrow! represent!

i wasn't trying to be mean dude. i hope jmc got what i meant. we're both a bit dramatic when it comes to grades.

Bumpity Bump! Where is everyone? 4 more weeks people, we're almost there. anyone going to the beach this weekend?

-E-
COMP 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.