COMP Class of 2008 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by DoHzA
my cousin who was going to get a place w/ me decided it's pointless for him to move from diamond bar to an area 10 min away and pay rent when he can live home for free
makes sense but leaves me out in the cold
what's COMP's deal w/ settin up people w/ places or roommates?

COMP doesn't have an extensive list of apartments/housing. There are a few listings in the office, but I found the better deals using the online LATimes and other apartment websites.

Two things I found interesting right off the bat - coming from MA:

1) There is almost a 1:1 ratio of bathrooms to bedrooms in the apartments. Nice, but wierd.

2) Most rentals do not supply a refrigerator. You either have to buy one or rent from an agency.

Coming from Boston, the prices weren't shocking to me at all, but people coming from places with a lower cost of living crapped themselves.

Closer to summer, they will send out a roommate compatability form for you to fill out if interested. I don't know exactly how that works, as I didn't participate.

You still have a lot of time, before you have to move, but this thread from last year helped:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53733

We also started a Yahoo discussion group and started to talk about housing, forms, all that stuff, months before having to move. In-state peeps should help out the others coming in from out of state regarding locations, geography. Who knows - you might find a roommate on a discussion group!

Members don't see this ad.

hey tkim6599, i am wondering about the first year classes, especially biochem.
i've had the fear of god put into me by some third years i've talked to, who say a certain biochem professor is very tough in terms of exam questions and material considered essential for passing tests. could you give us any pointers on how to deal with that?

Originally posted by Slickness
So calcrew, are you going to COMP next year?

My crystal ball still tells me so. Funny how I surf Western University web site for a school of pharmacy last January. I didn't know of COMP then.

It would be nice if current COMP students who are satisfied with their apartments would post the contacts somewhere. Anybody lives in Phillips Ranch? An old post mentioned that it was a nice area close by.

The 1:1 bath/bed is very convenient for any inevitable coincidence. "Luxerious" is the word I'd rather say.

Finally, it is not mandatory to secure the seat asap. Just make sure that the frst and second deposits are made before the designated deadlines.

Have a nice COM everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just submitted my FAFSA application. I'm hoping COMP gives me a lot of aid. At my interview, my interviewer told me they give merit scholarships to qualified students and he volunteered this information. I hope they give me one. :)

merit scholarships?
:confused: :confused:

merit scholarships?
:confused: :confused:
Yea they give a couple out based on stats and ECs.

please explain what the hell merit scholarships are.
please.
thank.
you.

please explain what the hell merit scholarships are.
please.
thank.
you.
It is a scholarship given for good performance in academics such as a high MCAT and GPA and/or for your work in the community depending on the scholarship. Many medical schools offer them and they are not need based awards. Western has about 5 or 6 that they offer to first year students. They don't give out many but they knock down tuition costs some.

application for it?

No they told me that you don't need to fill anything out. They will just award one based on your primary and secondary applications in March or so along with your other financial aid. It sounds like a good deal if you're lucky to get one.

where u gonna live dude?

I'm not sure yet, but probably in one of the apartments in the Claremont area. There's like a whole street of apartments of college students who go to both Western and Pomona college. How about you?

no clue

u have websites for those apt's?

i need to really start lookin into this

sidenote: when does SAPP start and what's the first day of school?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't know the websites. I think there are links to websites on the old western thread. As for when school starts, I'm not sure, but I think it's around early August. Don't know about SAPP.

Originally posted by that dr. jack
hey tkim6599, i am wondering about the first year classes, especially biochem.
i've had the fear of god put into me by some third years i've talked to, who say a certain biochem professor is very tough in terms of exam questions and material considered essential for passing tests. could you give us any pointers on how to deal with that?

Someone gave me a piece of advice that was simple yet very true: they only test you on what's in the syllabus/packet. I spent a lot of time reading multiple texts instead of the packet (I'm a 'panic text buyer') I got a pretty rounded knowledge of things, but not the specifics that I could have gotten by focusing on the packet material.

1) In general, always try to do your best on the first exam if there's a series of exams. Your chances of getting a decent grade are best with the first exam, and it will give you a little 'cush for the subsequent exams that might be harder.

2) The harder subjects have higher curves.

I know these sound simplistic, but they hold as truth.

I'm not sure yet, but probably in one of the apartments in the Claremont area. There's like a whole street of apartments of college students who go to both Western and Pomona college. How about you?

Hey Slick..what street is this in Claremont? Just wanted a heads up on the areas that are best before I start lookin'.

3 miles from COMP! That's very interesting. Is it within walking distance to the library? I used to live in a library once because the apartment was too crowded and unsanitary. What's the going rent in this area? Is there any public transport as a back up? Although I don't play cards, we could shuffle this deck for a few hands that we have here.

Good scouting. Thanks

Originally posted by Luwi25
Hey Slick..what street is this in Claremont? Just wanted a heads up on the areas that are best before I start lookin'.
Hi Luwi,
I don't remember the streets, but I did do a search and found a very informative webpage. It lists apartments in the Claremont, Upland, Montclair, Pomona, and Chino areas along with prices and phone numbers. It came off the Claremont college site. The link is below.
http://www.cgu.edu/housing/pdf/offhous.pdf

Anyways, I haven't seen you post in awhile. How is the application process going for you at Drew/UCLA? If I was in your position and was accepted to Drew, I would go because you just can't beat that tuition.

Could the street be Indian Hill Blvd that runs N/S between COMP and Pomona College. I believe that The libray is at Pomona College. The address is:
Dan Golden
Community Library Manager
208 N. Harvard Ave.
Claremont, CA 91711
Phone: (909) 621-4902

I'll use this address, COMP's 309 East Second St., Pomona, CA and apartment adresses from the website above to mapquest it now.

Looking at the rate on the lists, I can't help wondering where I am living at now. Some kind of palace or what? But does a king hit a wall every time he moves?

Happy hunting everyone.

Thanks for that website Slick! I actually just got back from interviewing at Albany. It is so damn cold out there...freezing and below freezing!!! Makes me love and appreciate LA even more when I go out to these interviews. I am so excited about getting into COMP because it is here in warm, beautiful, close to the beaches, Los Angeles!

Anyhoo, you are definitelty right about the tuition at Drew..can't beat that! But Drew is a tough program to get into because they only have a few slots so I'm not really countin' on that one. God will place me where I belong and so I'm just taking it a day at a time.

Have you guys started getting your vaccines done yet? I gotta do that and send them my transcripts as well over to COMP. I think the best time to start looking for housing is around June..no? Well, being so close to COMP, I'm not too worried about teh housing thing because there are so many areas available for housing options that will allow for a short commute to school. Keep me updated though! :)

Remember, if you live in Claremont you get free access to the Claremont colleges library :)

Originally posted by kpax18
Remember, if you live in Claremont you get free access to the Claremont colleges library :)

Hello Kpax,
Believe it or not, I still have your pm in my box.

I believe the library address in my previous post here is Pomona College Library. Here is the map of the Libraries of the Claremont Colleges. There are four of them.

http://voxlibris.claremont.edu/hrsloc/maplib/

All official transcripts have been requested to be sent to Western, got my physical done with last week, sent in my vaccination records over the weekend, and just filed my FAFSA!

Looks like I'm ready...now all i need is a damn apt. and who knows where it will be.

anybody decide if they are taking the SMPP course from june-july? i hope to meet some of u there!

:thumbup: :clap:

Hey kpax, I sent a pm to you back in mid december and I don't think you looked at it yet.

Luwi, yes I do believe God will put us where He wants us to be.:)

As for the vaccines, on the sheet it says to turn all that in at the maximum 6 months before attending the school. If school begins in August, 6 months before that would be at the earliest March. I thought that was kind of weird that we had to wait.

ya i had to contact the head dude of the immunization thingy and i told him i was tryin to make the new year cut off for my deductible and get my physical and what not and he said he'd accept it even though it wasn't within that time frame they said we need to make.

all it takes is an email

Hey kpax, I sent a pm to you back in mid december and I don't think you looked at it yet.

Hey slick, sorry about that. I didnt check my msg box because the old sdn feature has the pop up new pm msg whenever I log in. I suppose its not the case anymore. I'll reply it right away.

kp

Originally posted by kpax18
Hey slick, sorry about that. I didnt check my msg box because the old sdn feature has the pop up new pm msg whenever I log in. I suppose its not the case anymore. I'll reply it right away.

kp
It's cool.

u guys been checkin your westernu email?

I didn't know we had one yet. How do we check it?

how far down the acceptance letter did u get?
haha
it's in there read it over again

how far down the acceptance letter did u get?
haha
it's in there read it over again
I must have received a different acceptance letter because it didn't say anything about email in mine. Maybe it is in the confirmation of the deposit.

yeah, but haven't gotten many useful e-mails. i want to make my name disappear like slick. how do you do it slick?

Originally posted by crazy250
i want to make my name disappear like slick. how do you do it slick?
:confused:

There was some talk awhile ago about meeting up for some grub before school actually starts. Are we still planning for that? It'll be a good time to meet other people and perhaps find roommates and what nots.

Originally posted by friedcfood
There was some talk awhile ago about meeting up for some grub before school actually starts. Are we still planning for that? It'll be a good time to meet other people and perhaps find roommates and what nots.

I SECOND that notion!!! :hardy:

anytime you guys want to meet up is cool with me. the idea of a class that starts off with people knowing each other sounds like a good idea. anyone, PM me if you want my number.

i'd also really like to persuade any current students to come along with us and talk to us.

any COMP student care to join us? i will personally buy any current COMP student a drink if they meet with us with us. (although watch it if you're thinking of 60-year-old scotch or something- i'm not gonna have a job soon.)

whoops i misread that health eval thing; i thought it said we had to get it complete six months before

dohza; when did you get your physical and who did you email

hopefully they'll be cool with sending it in early

i think we should get together before class starts; would be fun

you all seem real cool and i'm pretty excited to start school up again!

for those that are natives of the "IE" what do people usually do for fun; my friend who's a first year at comp said they get together and drive to sunset once in a while...just wondering what "hot spots" are in the area

luwi: i PMed you; i don't know if you got it?...i think you were in my algae class at ucla! i'm gonna try and get a hold of levey pretty soon

-FG

Well, I just received a Loma Linda interview. Now I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Originally posted by tsukiewok
CONGRATS SLICK!!!:clap:
Thanks. Although my attitude is of non-chalance. Whatever happens happens. :)

I emailed this guy about sending in my physical earlier than they ask:
Gary M. Gugelchuk

Sr. Vice President for Executive Affairs

Western University of Health Sciences

909-469-5381

FAX: 909-469-5694

[email protected]

and he okayed it...he's the head dude so he's the man to talk to

about your email you can go to https://mail.westernu.edu/exchange/logon.asp
use your first initial and whole last name as log in
and your password is last 2 digits of birthyear and last 4 of your social

worked for me
they use this to contact admitted students

i inquired about dates and it turns out that orientation is aug. 4 and first day of classes is the 9th
the catalog for 2004-2005 won't be completed til march they said

i am also up for a drink w/ the COMP 2008'ers and i think i can bring a soon to be 4th yearer and a 2nd year'er or two along if u guys want
:horns:

thanks for the info dohza

and congrats slick; that's awesome news

best of luck with the i-view at double L!

wow slickness, that's beyond cool. good luck!

Congrats on the interview slick!:clap:

Yea we'll see what happens. Honestly, Loma Linda is a bit strict because they're affiliated with SDA. Anyways, I finally signed on to my email address but there wasn't anything useful.

SDA?

congrats on the interview slick but we all know you're comin to comp with us!

SDA?

congrats on the interview slick but we all know you're comin to comp with us!
:laugh: Yea. Really I wouldn't care either way, but I think i'd have more fun at COMP.

uh oh dudes,
i just got an interview offer from CCOM. what should i do? should i interview there?

i canceled my interviews with DMU and LECOM when i got into COMP, but CCOM is so reputable and old, plus they ahve such good rotations. i love cali, but would CCOM be better for my career, especially if i want to do surgery?

ack- just today i talked to another wonderful COMP third year who put my mind at ease and was so happy with his education at COMP. i was totally confident about my decision until i came home and saw my letter from CCOM.

uh oh dudes,
i just got an interview offer from CCOM. what should i do? should i interview there?

i canceled my interviews with DMU and LECOM when i got into COMP, but CCOM is so reputable and old, plus they ahve such good rotations. i love cali, but would CCOM be better for my career, especially if i want to do surgery?

ack- just today i talked to another wonderful COMP third year who put my mind at ease and was so happy with his education at COMP. i was totally confident about my decision until i came home and saw my letter from CCOM.

I say go - if you have the time and money.

You will never again have the opportunity to visit other places and see what it's like there. CCOM has a great reputation. Go and see if it's for you. Congrats!

uh oh dudes,

I know exactly how you feel. I say go so you can see for yourself if it is a school that you'd like. What's up with these interviews poppin up so late in the season. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.