Compare Jobs & Baby

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concussion101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for everyone who replied.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Job 2 sounds like 10 x better...

Reactions: 1 user
Job 2 sounds more regular, more money, more amenities, more ability to see your family... literally sounds like the 7/7 is the only thing you're attached to. All other things aside, I don't even see how that's worth the $25,000 differential.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to hear your experience with work, before and after baby.

Essentially, we have been doing a "locums" style model, where I work in another state, and we live in another state. My brain says one thing, heart says another.

Job 1: 7 day/7 off schedule, hospitalist; 300k salary range, 9 hour work day; small town, no amenities; 3 hours to major metropolis; have been here for years and enjoy work
Job 2: 4 day work week, 3 day weekends, family practice; 325k salary range; larger town ~ 40 to 50k, amenities, Walmart; 2 hours to an ok metropolis; wife wants to live together for a change, and felt like this would be a good place. I also feel like a nice town.

Wanted to hear how the 7/7 work schedule works for people with a new baby, compared to clinic. Its comparing apples and oranges in terms of work, but I feel like I could jump in either place and do well. 7/7 allows me time to do other work, maybe travel? wife says that can be a selfish statement as we may not be doing as much after the baby lol 😂 any experience or advise would be appreciated.
You need to live wherever the baby is. How much call are you going to have for town 2? Is it outpatient only? Does wife not want to live in city number 1? Traveling while baby is small and not in school will actually be easier.

Reactions: 1 user
In terms of where baby lives, option for 1 would be metropolis with commute to the job. The town is not livable for us, <5K people and towns with more like 30 to 40k are 45 min drive away. Housing is expensive for no reason and taxes on them are insane.

option 1; we did long distance for years, got good practice, work is enjoyable, but not livable for us.

option 2; no call;

we like to travel, but wife thinks we can manage 3 solid trips with #2; I’m leaning towards number 2.