Compare the Manhattan programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GardnerState

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone compare the 4 Manhattan programs? (Columbia, Mt Sinai, NYU, Cornell). I know this topic has been discussed many times, but those are relatively older threads and a lot of changes have taken place since then.

I actually interviewed at all of those programs except Cornell already and have my own impressions, but I would like to hear all of yours. Specifically, in terms of training, prestige, program directors, and residents/culture.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone compare the 4 Manhattan programs? (Columbia, Mt Sinai, NYU, Cornell).

You mean the four Manhattan programs that are not MS Beth Israel, Harlem Hospital, Metropolitan, or St. Lukes/Roosevelt? ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I'm actually looking for comparison on Beth Israel / St. Lukes / Montefiore.

I have the feeling Monte might be the better program, but is it significantly better to compensate for location? Also, between Beth Israel and St Luke's I can't seem to figure out what the differences are and which one would be a better training site?

Hi guys!

I'm actually looking for comparison on Beth Israel / St. Lukes / Montefiore.

I have the feeling Monte might be the better program, but is it significantly better to compensate for location?

That's a hard question to answer. Depends on how important location is for you?

They are all fairly clinical-oriented programs with minimal opportunities for research. I'm mentioning this since you're an MD/PhD and might be thinking of doing some research during residency. You'll likely need to have a lot more initiative to eke out research here.

Last edited:
Actually that's a mistake in my profile. I'm not PhD, have done a year of research but mostly interested in clinical research with a primary focus on therapy, Outpatient, women's mental health and possibly child fellowship. Location wise, I mean being in the city vs Bronx would be more fun but I'd be willing to commute from UES if the program was worth it.

I'm also curious about St. Luke's v. Montefiore. I think Montefiore has a stronger reputation, but St. Luke's clearly has the better location. I have an idea of what Montefiore is like, but there's not that much info on St. Luke's.

I'm a current resident at SLR. Please PM me for any questions regarding the program. We recently switched from being associated with Columbia to Mount Sinai and with that several additions to the program. The child and adolescent inpatient unit has moved from Mt. Sinai to St. Lukes. Also, the outpatient eating disorder program will be located near Roosevelt Hospital instead. So, it appears the SLR will likely to do well in terms of psychiatric training and expanding of services.

Unique areas of the residency is that we have this program called CITPD (center for intensive treatment of personality disorders), which you start second year in an outpatient setting. Additionally, you start seeing outpatients 1/2 day/week with a small caseload (during 2nd year) and which you can even follow some of your patients that you've seen inpatient once they are discharged for continuity of care. Also, you train in two distinct hospital centers, one located in morning side heights and the other in midtown west (populations varies differently by those neighborhoods). There is also no 24 hour calls for residents ever. There are research opportunities but they are mostly associated with Mount Sinai. These are more available to you as a 3rd and 4th year (there is a research track).

The housing is amazing (spacious studios- paying about $1600/month with doorman/elevator +/- higher/lower rent depending on the floor and also allows pets). The programs makes it very easy to commute between the hospitals (including Mt Sinai and Beth Israel) with a shuttle service at convenient times and is located right near housing. My life outside of work is very important to me and this area could not be any better and it is actually nice that the hospital provides these services to residents. Also, we are with the CIR (resident union) and obtain nice bonuses/salary increases basically every year with step 3 fully reimbursed.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for responding! It sounds like a lot of cool things are happening for the program. I was honestly really curious about what the provided housing was like and what it costs. Research track sounds like a significant advantage v. Montefiore for anyone interested in that. You think you'll be able to rotate at the eating disorders clinic?

I'm a current resident at SLR. Please PM me for any questions regarding the program. We recently switched from being associated with Columbia to Mount Sinai and with that several additions to the program. The child and adolescent inpatient unit has moved from Mt. Sinai to St. Lukes. Also, the outpatient eating disorder program will be located near Roosevelt Hospital instead. So, it appears the SLR will likely to do well in terms of psychiatric training and expanding of services.

Unique areas of the residency is that we have this program called CITPD (center for intensive treatment of personality disorders), which you start second year in an outpatient setting. Additionally, you start seeing outpatients 1/2 day/week with a small caseload (during 2nd year) and which you can even follow some of your patients that you've seen inpatient once they are discharged for continuity of care. Also, you train in two distinct hospital centers, one located in morning side heights and the other in midtown west (populations varies differently by those neighborhoods). There is also no 24 hour calls for residents ever. There are research opportunities but they are mostly associated with Mount Sinai. These are more available to you as a 3rd and 4th year (there is a research track).

The housing is amazing (spacious studios- paying about $1600/month with doorman/elevator +/- higher/lower rent depending on the floor and also allows pets). The programs makes it very easy to commute between the hospitals (including Mt Sinai and Beth Israel) with a shuttle service at convenient times and is located right near housing. My life outside of work is very important to me and this area could not be any better and it is actually nice that the hospital provides these services to residents. Also, we are with the CIR (resident union) and obtain nice bonuses/salary increases basically every year with step 3 fully reimbursed.

Thank you journey05. Can you talk a bit about the research track? What kind of research experiences can be available?

Thank you for responding! It sounds like a lot of cool things are happening for the program. I was honestly really curious about what the provided housing was like and what it costs. Research track sounds like a significant advantage v. Montefiore for anyone interested in that. You think you'll be able to rotate at the eating disorders clinic?

Most likely the opportunity will be available. The eating disorders program is going to be completely moved in by early next year.. so will find out more when they settle down.

Thank you journey05. Can you talk a bit about the research track? What kind of research experiences can be available?

I don't know the specifics about the research track, but basically you do less outpatient rotations in exchange for research blocks in the 3rd year where you get to find a mentor (can be from the other affiliate hospitals), get involved in a research project, and continue that into your 4th year. In terms of the specifics of the research topics I am not quite sure. We were given a list of available opportunities for research last year, but I don't know where it is. If I come across it, I'll let you know.

Reactions: 1 users
Bump. Awaiting to interview at Sinai/BI/SLR in the upcoming months and just wanted to know what people's experiences have been either working there as residents or interviewing there. Gracias!

Any other info from current residents or med students in the NYC area re: Mount Sinai vs. Beth Israel? I loved both of them and am struggling to decide which one I'd rank higher. I'm coming from the west coast so it's really hard to get a sense of these programs when no one at my school is familiar with them.

Any other info from current residents or med students in the NYC area re: Mount Sinai vs. Beth Israel? I loved both of them and am struggling to decide which one I'd rank higher. I'm coming from the west coast so it's really hard to get a sense of these programs when no one at my school is familiar with them.

Assuming you are referring to the main Mount Sinai, then yeah, Mount Sinai comes first, and its not even close. Mount Sinai is one of the Big Four in Manhattan (where it falls in relation to the others is up for debate), but the department is one of the strongest in the country with many huge names. Also, Psychiatry is dominant at Sinai. The CEO (Ken Davis) and Dean (Dennis Charney) are psychiatrists, and Eric Nestler is chair of Neuroscience. I know nothing about Beth Israel, other than it's now under the Sinai umbrella, but it is not an academic powerhouse. Sinai is. Living in NYC (read: for four years) as a resident is probably only worth it if you are at one of the Big Four unless you have a significant other there/other geographic ties. With ridiculous cost of living even with subsidized housing, and just generally paying a ton for everything, lack of space, etc, sacrificing quality of training is probably not worth it.

Assuming you are referring to the main Mount Sinai, then yeah, Mount Sinai comes first, and its not even close. Mount Sinai is one of the Big Four in Manhattan (where it falls in relation to the others is up for debate), but the department is one of the strongest in the country with many huge names. Also, Psychiatry is dominant at Sinai. The CEO (Ken Davis) and Dean (Dennis Charney) are psychiatrists, and Eric Nestler is chair of Neuroscience. I know nothing about Beth Israel, other than it's now under the Sinai umbrella, but it is not an academic powerhouse. Sinai is. Living in NYC (read: for four years) as a resident is probably only worth it if you are at one of the Big Four unless you have a significant other there/other geographic ties. With ridiculous cost of living even with subsidized housing, and just generally paying a ton for everything, lack of space, etc, sacrificing quality of training is probably not worth it.
Thanks, I was referring to the main Mount Sinai. I understand that it's an academic powerhouse, however I'm not interested in academic medicine or research whatsoever. I'm much more interested in community psychiatry. Would this change your opinion at all, or is it best to train at an academic powerhouse regardless of career goals?