Comparing prokaryotes and Eukaryotes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

According to this question in the bio q pack, both bacterial and human cells are capable of producing ATP via ATP synthase.
When I saw this question, my reasoning was that A had to be wrong because I know that prokaryotes lack membrane bound organelles (including mitochondria, the site of ATP synthesis). I did not know that prokaryotes have a similar mechanism for ATP synthesis located on their cell membranes.

What are some other major differences between prokaryotes and eukaryotes that you guys have come across in MCAT questions?

Prokaryotes lack membrane bound organelles
Prokaryotes have a cell wall, while eukaryotes do not
Prokaryotes contain polycistronic DNA--->mRNA, as well as the whole promoter/regulatory structure that eukaryotes lack

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• atp synthase.PNG
    atp synthase.PNG
    106.1 KB · Views: 43
From another vantage point ...if bacteria didn't/couldn't generate ATP, what would their source of energy be? So there has to be some form of ATP generation.

Questions I have seen so far mostly have to do with what you've written so far: membrane bound organelles, DNA etc.

Reactions: 1 user