Compensation in High Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"assume everyone is stupid enough to code? LOOOLLLLLLL" what does this mean

uhm im not the one bragging about getting into faang lol and then going to pharmacy, going to a different college during rotations, bragging about my pcat score, bragging about how nothing you do in life is hard and everything comes so easy, so i think the one pretending to be smart.. might not be me... but.. someone else...:

also i didnt write up my own version:

What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re ****ing dead, kiddo.
you love pharmacy to death? go to the job market sub-forum, and that's for you LOL

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Facebook E6 staff engineer got fired. $550k salary/yr. People still wanna do pharmacy with guaranteed 0-8h shift/week and be treated like dirt from your employer? lol

Be smart about it but do something your going to actually enjoy. That guy lived and breathed coding. He was likely programming stuff at the age of 12 or so. Took his math seriously and now can code with the best of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read everything in this thread but I will say..
Pharmacy school was a joke for me. I worked 20-28 hours a week from P2-P4 years and still managed to get As and Bs in my classes. I know they are lowering admission standards for many pharm schools and that could explain the decline in NAPLEX pass rates over the years.

I have some friends who are software engineers. From what they tell me, they have great quality of life and love their work/schedule. I also have friends who picked up coding to switch careers. Coding itself is not difficult at all because I picked up some languages over the years but I can't speak for how easy it is to get a job in the field.

I have some friends who are software engineers. From what they tell me, they have great quality of life and love their work/schedule. I also have friends who picked up coding to switch careers. Coding itself is not difficult at all because I picked up some languages over the years but I can't speak for how easy it is to get a job in the field.
As of right now according to indeed.com, there are 180,000+ job opening for software engineers. Shortage is actually a thing for them. Most H1Bs visa are being used by techs (it has been for the last 20 yrs and still is). They don't need to keep raising salaries to astronomical level to code $250k-1M if they don't need it.

For pharmacists, there are 2600 jobs in the entire US (70x less than above). This figures decreased from 6500 to 2600 in just 1 yr. H1B sponsor is dead (it used to be a thing too). Freeze pay, labor cuts. Which one is easier to get to?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This thread really went to the dumps it seems.

The picture painted here is rosy - and it is rosy compared to pharmacy - though expectations should be tempered by the reality. If we want to be data driven, I'd encourage folks to check this, this and this link out for total compensation percentiles. These are all-in comp packages, i.e. inclusive of equity and bonus, and they are agnostic to years of experience. These numbers are about as accurate as any data set you will find.

My sister's a FAANG Product Manager now, but she cut her teeth at an ~80k CS SWE job after college. She's not the only one. Have colleagues who were previously data scientists making ~80-100k. Another friend currently working at Grubhub as a data scientist for ~150k. Conversely, have several friends who are making 200k+ as SWEs coming straight out of UG/grad school (including one working on the secret Apple car project that was scrapped).

All to say - many people came into pharmacy expecting to be the top 10% (pharma, clinical, what have you). Don't leave pharmacy for tech to make the same mistake. Come in after doing your research and with eyes wide open.

If it's money you're looking for - just join a consulting firm where you can directly translate your medical knowledge. At BCG you'll be at ~225k starting and ~600k after 6-7 years of work. Or join McKinsey and leave to be a Strategy & Operations Associate at Google after 2 years for ~250-350k comp. Hop over to product management down the line. No grad school opportunity cost. That's if you truly believe you are among the top 5%.

Still, money isn't everything. I'd go as far as asserting it's not really worth much after a certain point. It's more fruitful to look critically into what one wants to do in life instead of running the rat race to keep up with the Joneses.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Check out an online masters in applied statistics. I feel like it fits a biomedical sciences/pharmacist background better. You can take one class a semester and complete it online part time if you want to. You need to have taken calc 1,2,3 and linear algebra to get into most programs. It can also get you jobs in silicone valley and ect. if that is what you really want. The phd is of course better. If your really a cut above other students and have the time do the phd. It is one of the highest paying phd out there.

As of right now according to indeed.com, there are 180,000+ job opening for software engineers. Shortage is actually a thing for them. Most H1Bs visa are being used by techs (it has been for the last 20 yrs and still is). They don't need to keep raising salaries to astronomical level to code $250k-1M if they don't need it.

For pharmacists, there are 2600 jobs in the entire US (70x less than above). This figures decreased from 6500 to 2600 in just 1 yr. H1B sponsor is dead (it used to be a thing too). Freeze pay, labor cuts. Which one is easier to get to?

o wow there are a lot of job openings. I was just saying I wasn't sure how easy it is to get jobs. I've heard from friends that the interviews can get pretty challenging because they give you projects and you have to be creative.. Very different from the interviews you get for pharmacy lol

Check out an online masters in applied statistics. I feel like it fits a biomedical sciences/pharmacist background better. You can take one class a semester and complete it online part time if you want to. You need to have taken calc 1,2,3 and linear algebra to get into most programs. It can also get you jobs in silicone valley and ect. if that is what you really want. The phd is of course better. If your really a cut above other students and have the time do the phd. It is one of the highest paying phd out there.

No, no, no, the PhD IS NEVER an economically advantageous position unless R&D lead is your objective. If you simply want to ascend the ranks, the MS is the best ROI. The guy who I thought had the best advice ever in graduate school, Ron Azuma, still has the right idea even 20 years later with respective to the value proposition.

Ron's also the guy who I've seen grow from broke grad student at UNC to successful Silicon Valley, but even with intelligence and application, it just puts you in the position to get lucky. But even if you are not lucky, it's still a great career, but you do have to put in the work.

No, no, no, the PhD IS NEVER an economically advantageous position unless R&D lead is your objective. If you simply want to ascend the ranks, the MS is the best ROI. The guy who I thought had the best advice ever in graduate school, Ron Azuma, still has the right idea even 20 years later with respective to the value proposition.

Ron's also the guy who I've seen grow from broke grad student at UNC to successful Silicon Valley, but even with intelligence and application, it just puts you in the position to get lucky. But even if you are not lucky, it's still a great career, but you do have to put in the work.
From another forum.
A MS in Biostats will get you a job. Most MS biostatisticians are paid well and live comfortably. Most jobs are in industry. With an MS, you'll likely be a researcher working as part of a team, lead by a PhD/PhDs... You'll likely get put on projects/told what to do, rather than have control... You'll be programming and interpreting more than anything else
Basically, an MS will give you a comfortable career, but you'll likely never have a top leadership role. If you like programming, interpreting data and working on projects assigned to you, it's a great option. However, if you want to design studies and work on methodology,along with the analysis part, you'll need a Phd. The highest ranks in industry and academia are dominated by PhDs, are without one, you'll probably always work under one

Statistics is just about the only PhD that gets rewarded in industry since you can code everything and do a tremendous amount of work on your own. It's similar to cfd which is another field dominated by PhD.

Phd sold their soul to industry.

phd if you are working in biology sure, or as a professor, but these phd sold their souls to industry. Its kind of like pharmacy, we all say we will work in hospital or as a professor. But we end up in retail. Same here, phd have a party when they graduate, say they are going to teach the next generation of math students but end up unemployed and force to take a industry job

From another forum.
A MS in Biostats will get you a job. Most MS biostatisticians are paid well and live comfortably. Most jobs are in industry. With an MS, you'll likely be a researcher working as part of a team, lead by a PhD/PhDs... You'll likely get put on projects/told what to do, rather than have control... You'll be programming and interpreting more than anything else
Basically, an MS will give you a comfortable career, but you'll likely never have a top leadership role. If you like programming, interpreting data and working on projects assigned to you, it's a great option. However, if you want to design studies and work on methodology,along with the analysis part, you'll need a Phd. The highest ranks in industry and academia are dominated by PhDs, are without one, you'll probably always work under one

Well, yes, I am one. However, what I wrote stands, it's actually not economically advantageous to be average as a PhD. You're not going into it for the money, the ROI sucks. You're going into it to be the one. I don't want anyone telling me what to do in my professional work (it's fine to tell me what to do, but there's a low tolerance for someone directly interfering in my analysis).

@Jbrl is right, if you are 10% material in CS, it works out pretty great. The dirty secret is that the 10% of pharmacists (and more than that) do quite all right for themselves too. A little work here, a little investing there, a well-put together family with time enough for love...I've never found it that much of a struggle to get into the place where the marginal utility of making more money motivates me, but what worries me is that I'll be prepared to face my decline when it comes and inevitably does, the problem of the Second Act. Some of you are still on the growth curve phase, but what I'm surprised at with many of you is that despite you all being in the 2% or 1%, it's just not enough. I see this with some of my colleagues, and I definitely see it with my wife's partners. Maybe dissatisfaction with success is a key to always getting it, but I find that a sad observation on most of us.

What's really funny though was I just got out of a conversation with the actuaries at White Oak, and their response was they wish they were in healthcare, because could make an individual difference. Actuaries are the only profession that I know that has less formal education that we do, but that the average (not the superstars) do as well or better than we do and have even better office circumstances.

I had to break their illusions on that matter, but I did say that if they want to help people, join a church or some volunteer organization, don't work in a supposedly helping job as you all know just how often we all "help" people in the way that the public thinks. So it's not just us, it's just the nature of dreaming about a utopia. What makes an actuary's job hard is not the statistics or the forecasts, but the ever pessimistic viewpoint of humanity that calculating those life tables and forecasts make, that you do reduce everyone to a number eventually, and that with the right distributions, your end is always the same.

But if you want to be an actuary, there's a long period of informal education, and there is a long period of playing the game at insurance companies, consultancies, and the government in order to get the experience needed to sign off on matters. But when you do, the probability that your life will turn out fine is then up to you and not circumstance. They grumble, but they aren't starving, but they keep dreaming because it'll never be enough.

For now, any pharmacist at 10+ years is in that category, that it's more up to you than circumstance about success. And those new grads, they can't be helped, but I'm getting sick and tired of being lectured by people who don't work at all about supposed issues with the work I do and we do competently day in and day out, even when we do grumble. The career of pharmacy and most professions is not to do the job well, that's so basic that it shouldn't need to be stated, but to survive long enough to do the job at all. Day in and day out in Walgreens or anywhere else, performing in a job that is stressful, unrewarding from the service standpoint, for people who just don't care is why we make the big bucks.

What I tell young students in my network who are undecided.
Pick out the city you want to live in.
Find the good companies to work for.
Research all of their entry level roles. What does it take to get it, what does it pay, what hours will you be working, and ECT. The fortune five hundred pharma company down the road from me loves PhD I have been told. They pay comparable to physician mid and later career for the right skill set I have been told.

I was the opposite of you kinda~ always good at math but I was kinda pushed into healthcare by my parents.
You are right about the location. Just like pharma, east or west coast, the rest is barren land.
tech is highly concentrated on the west coast though. last time amazon tried to establish HQ2 at NYC, it was shot down by AOC and those union advocates :rolleyes:

same. good at math. took upper divisions for research I did. society around me convinced me to do medicine, esp parents. regret medicine sometimes because of it. oh well

Web developers with 10 years of experience can make $100+ an hour on contract jobs (not full time).

You have to be willing to move anywhere though. And also, it’s pretty much salaried job ie. you put way more than 40 hours sometimes depending on the project deadline. It’s not uncommon for them to work till 1 am at night.

Have any of you considered IB? A lot of IB on wall street will take anyone who can get into a harvard mba. Bascily 3 years of grunt work followed by a free ivy league mba followed by back to grinding away to partner.

These posts seem highly interesting as I've dabbled in comp. sci. for a bit in the past, but I agree with what Jbrl said. The reported salaries found on Glassdoor or Indeed are rose-tinted. Most of my friends went into computer science, some graduated top of their class, and only about 3/20 nailed work for a company. Not a startup or contract that puts you out of work by the time you are done. 15/20 of them are either unemployed or work in a sector unrelated to computer science. There are plenty of jobs out there for data scientists, software engineers, and so on, but there are also a large amount of competitive candidates; developers are now a dime a dozen - especially with Java, Python, and Ruby on Rails. Kinda the similar situation with pharmacy. Cybersecurity, on the other hand, is much more open, but is considered the "boring choice" by my friends...