compensatory mechansim in respiratory alkalosis/acidosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junaidyounis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends...I wanted to ask that in in hyperventilation when paco2 decreases and this equation shifts to left.
655959a52b2ae8f4893e12716bf4a86c.png
i read in literature that H+ and HCO3 combine to form carbonic acid and carbonic acid dissociates into co2 nad h2o as compensation.. due to hyperventilation and fall in paco2 ph level rises leading to alkalosis. My question is when H+ and Hco3 both combine to form carbonic acid and further then why they write just protons are lost and ph rises and causes alkalosis....why dosent loss of hco3 affect ph ..in my mind it was both are lost so ph shoudnt changee..please help me I can elaborate more if my question is not clear.....

Members don't see this ad.

Loss of HCO3 directly affects pH by removing H ions. pH is determined by the amount of dissociated H+ in fluid (parts HYDRONIUM).

This is one other explanation i found......it states"BECAUSE THEIR STARTING CONCENTRATIOS IN ECF ARE VERY DIFFERENT - the [H+] in the normal state is 40 nanoequivalents (nEq/L) per liter, whereas the [HCO3-] is regulated to 24 milliequivalents (mEq/L). Note that mEq is 1000 times more than nEq. A change of pH from 7.4 to 7.2 requires a rise in H from 40 to 60 nEq/L (a 50% increase). The total amount of HCO3 also rises by the same amount (20 nEq/L), however because the amount of HCO3 in the ECF is much more large, this change is relatively insignificant. The actual change in [HCO3-] is on the order of a 0.001% increase"....thanks a lot for your point of view