competative for perio 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvnluc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i m a foreign trained prosthodontist with some research in prostho and a wide clinical experience
, again in prostho...gpa 3.88 and passed nbde1. but the catch is i ve NO perio experience and i want to do a post grad in perio...can anyone tell why my chances are?

Members don't see this ad.

Check your pulse... If you have one then your chances are pretty good!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check your pulse... If you have one then your chances are pretty good!

Comments like this by the OS residents on this forum kinda blow. Okay, yeah, we get it, you think you're better because you sew back faces and do trauma. Maybe you are. From my experience at my residency program, the OS residents are a lot better than the perio residents (on average). In practice, however, this is not always the case. A finely trained periodontist does excellent dentistry and can command a hefty salary. A haughty oral surgeon will always make good money in thirds but being a douche to your referrals will cause you to potentially lose your implant referrals.

As a FTD prosth with decent marks (assuming you took NBDE as pass/fail?), publications, and good reviews from your prostho program faculty, you may be making a very smart decision to do perio here in the states. In theory you could practice perio (with a dab of perio/prosth). Ethically and potentially legally, you'll be restricted to doing a "perio only" practice if you call yourself a periodontist but it depends on your market and such.

I don't see any problems with you getting into a USA perio program. It seems that most of these programs are full of FTDs now anways. Well, prostho programs are going in that direction too so you may want to look at UPenn's Perio/prosthetics residency. You're a trained periodontist but not a trained prosthodontist. May be a good idea.

Good luck!

Comments like this by the OS residents on this forum kinda blow. Okay, yeah, we get it, you think you're better because you sew back faces and do trauma. Maybe you are. From my experience at my residency program, the OS residents are a lot better than the perio residents (on average). In practice, however, this is not always the case. A finely trained periodontist does excellent dentistry and can command a hefty salary. A haughty oral surgeon will always make good money in thirds but being a douche to your referrals will cause you to potentially lose your implant referrals.

As a FTD prosth with decent marks (assuming you took NBDE as pass/fail?), publications, and good reviews from your prostho program faculty, you may be making a very smart decision to do perio here in the states. In theory you could practice perio (with a dab of perio/prosth). Ethically and potentially legally, you'll be restricted to doing a "perio only" practice if you call yourself a periodontist but it depends on your market and such.

I don't see any problems with you getting into a USA perio program. It seems that most of these programs are full of FTDs now anways. Well, prostho programs are going in that direction too so you may want to look at UPenn's Perio/prosthetics residency. You're a trained periodontist but not a trained prosthodontist. May be a good idea.

Good luck!

hey thanks for your clear advice...and as far as OS goes , i agree they are no less than Gods! but i d rather stick to becoming a good happy human being rather than try to take HIS job and suck at both...

Good luck!

OMS don't get referrals from perio for implants, so we can be as big a douches as we like to them :thumbup:

OMS don't get referrals from perio for implants, so we can be as big a douches as we like to them :thumbup:

You won't lose referrals from periodontists. It is the periodontists that will gain referrals from the GD that won't be referring to you anymore for being a douche bag.

Let's keep it professional guys..
To the OP, I would get some perio experience just for the sake of getting experience (shadowing or talking to a periodontist if nothing else). Being foreign trained poses different challenges, so do whatever you can to lower the barriers. It really does help you have prostho, but you'll need to make an argument for why you will seek perio training.

Let's keep it professional guys..
To the OP, I would get some perio experience just for the sake of getting experience (shadowing or talking to a periodontist if nothing else). Being foreign trained poses different challenges, so do whatever you can to lower the barriers. It really does help you have prostho, but you'll need to make an argument for why you will seek perio training.

thanks....i thot in this os perio debate i was never going to get any advice...but seriously i don't know whats it with these os guys...let the perio guys be....there r enough patients in this world for both the specialities