Compilation of top residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No Jefferson for neurosurg/neurology?

Joking aside, I'd be curious to see if there actually are programs that stick out above the rest in FM.

I think for FM you'd have to look at the different tracks. My friends that just matched, one was looking at programs with strong rural health medicine, another wanted unopposed programs in general, another was looking for a strong women's health component so a fellowship wouldnt be necessary, another wanted international experience built in etc.

For a field that's so broad, which draws people in for many different reasons, it might be hard to make a list in the style of the OP.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This way for years:

General Surgery
UTSW,
Hopkins, MGH

UT Southwestern has the largest and best GS program on earth. They turn out 13 surgeons every year, each with >50 job offers.

This way for years:

General Surgery
UTSW,
Hopkins, MGH

UT Southwestern has the largest and best GS program on earth. They turn out 13 surgeons every year, each with >50 job offers.

They have a rep for being very malignant though, even if the training and academic reputation are outstanding. Same can be said for UPenn surgery.

Ortho is a difficult specialty to categorize. For me, I look at it this way. Either the program is "academic" or "community" and either the program has "lots of trauma" or "weak on trauma". Depending on your career goals, you will decide on academic or community. Depending on how much you want to operate and have your own surgical decision-making, you choose between autonomy or no autonomy.

I know far more about the academic ortho programs, so that is all I will speculate about here.

Top Programs:
Academic/Weaker Autonomy: HSS, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic
Academic/Mod Autonomy: Iowa, Rush, Jefferson
Academic/Strong Autonomy: Pitt, Baylor, Case Western

*Keep in mind this list is not exhaustive and variations could be argued for hours.
**Check www.orthogate.com for more lengthy discussions on ortho residency reviews.
***There are many other factors to consider when forming your rank lists (i.e. research opportunities, location, fellowships, etc.), which will shift certain programs up or down your ROL. My list is merely speaking about academic programs and their operative experiences, which were the two most important factors for me.

Last edited:
This way for years:

General Surgery
UTSW,
Hopkins, MGH

Question from a non-surgery person. I thought Univ. of Washington had the top surgery program in the country? At least that's what my surgery classmates tell me.

My god, you've managed to coalesce the ridiculousness of ranking threads from every major specialty...

The horror, the horror...

Jeez, man, you haven't even started medical school yet and you're already doing all of this? It's good information, but this isn't the kind of crap you should be worrying about. Hell most second years don't even care about this at that point in the game. I appreciate the effort, but relax.

But unlike M2s, pre-meds tend to have tons of spare time...if I remember correctly.

Jeez, man, you haven't even started medical school yet and you're already doing all of this? It's good information, but this isn't the kind of crap you should be worrying about. Hell most second years don't even care about this at that point in the game. I appreciate the effort, but relax.

Agreed.... It's great that you are looking into this stuff now, but I am not sure what the point of it all is.

Choose a specialty and choose a location - only start ranking programs after you pin the first two variables down.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lol, didn't know OP was pre-med. Too funny.

Why wouldn't MS-0s be interested in this? At every single interview & 2nd look they're given a fresh match list, so naturally they'll be interested in what constitutes a "top tier" match in each of the specialties (especially if interested in an academic career and/or prestigious wankery).

For these lists, about what %age of total residency spots in each field do these account for? Are these types of programs within reach of the above average applicant for the field, top 25%, etc?

For these lists, about what %age of total residency spots in each field do these account for? Are these types of programs within reach of the above average applicant for the field, top 25%, etc?

Assume you need to be a top applicant (top 10%) to match at top tier programs.

I was under the impression that Penn/Scheie was a top Ophtho program.
Same here...

Also, maybe +California Pacific Medical Center for ophthalmology and +Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (in San Jose; Stanford affiliate) for radiology as well?

Same here...

Also, maybe +California Pacific Medical Center for ophthalmology and +Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (in San Jose; Stanford affiliate) for radiology as well?

Scv is nice but nowhere near a top program.

Aaaaargh! I really wanted to be in Denver for residency (and stay there), but from this list it seems hard to justify professionally.

generally, the best program in the country would be the one that would be the best match for you, that would allow you to blossom.

although people like to rank things, for the most part, they are over-rated and more or less meaningless.

although people like to rank things, for the most part, they are over-rated and more or less meaningless.

Yes, which is why I said to focus on specialty and then location.

I didn't spout platitudes, which is all you did.

Why are there no Vascular Surgery rankings??!?!?!?!? huh?

V Surg doesn't appear on most lists/charts.

If you'd like to share your thoughts, that'd be great!

Columbia doesn't make top ten for optho, ENT, AND ortho? Optho is especially surprising to me given the Columbia-Cornell powerhouse dual residency that it is. And NYU isn't in the top rads?
Agree that Stanford isn't all that good for neurosurg except for non-clinical academia. Maybe this was just me, but I was under the impression that Penn > MGH.

Columbia & CPMC not even close....Not sure what the current rankings are but 2008 ophthalmology times easily googable...

Wilmer/hopkins
MEEI/harvard
Duke
BPEI/miami
JSEI/ucla
Wash U
UCSF
Emory
USC
UMich

Other notables that are close to breaking into the top 10 include U Penn, OHSU, Utah, Baylor, UAB (maybe),

Last edited:
I dug through specialty forums for a long time and compiled a list of the very top residency p
Internal medicine
Hopkins, MGH, BWH, UCSF
U Penn, Columbia, Duke, U Michigan, Wash U, Stanford, U Washington
And many others (UCLA, U Chicago, UTSW, BIDMC, Cornell, Mayo, Mt Sinai, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Yale, Pitt)

[

UTSW Medicine belongs in the very top tier next to MGH, Duke, UCSF, Hopkins

#1 This thread, while well meaning, has very limited utility. Any MS4s interested in a specialty will by now have done a rotation +/- away rotation(s), have met with their chair/PD/advisor, and talked extensively with faculty, residents, and other students about programs' relative strengths. All of this is in addition to a thorough review of online rankings and forums that is the basis of this list.

#2 The urology list certainly contains some big names, but an outsider with no rotation experience cannot possibly grasp any of the nuances that make these programs great and sets each apart. To correct one point, Vandy is easily in any 'top tier' list (of any length). Most would argue it is the deepest program in the country but I cannot speak to the residents' operative experience as I have not visited.

lol

Anesthesiology
Hopkins, MGH, UCSF
BWH, Stanford, Columbia, Duke
And many others (Penn, Wash U, Michigan, U Washington, UAB, Mayo, Cornell, Wake Forest, UCLA, UVA, Wisconsin)

Dermatology
Penn, UCSF, NYU; Harvard, Stanford
Yale, Columbia, Michigan
Mayo, Miami, Emory

Emergency Medicine
Methodist/Indiana, Cincinnati, Denver, Hennepin, Carolinas, Pitt, Highland
Chrisitiana, Vanderbilt, UCLA-Harbor, Cook County, Emory, Harvard/BWH
??? USC-LAC, King's County, Maricopa, UNM, U of A, U of M, UCSD

ENT
Hopkins
MEEI, Pitt, U Washington, Iowa, Michigan
Vanderbilt, Wash U, Mayo, UNC, Baylor

General Surgery
MGH, Hopkins
Penn, Duke, BWH, Wash U, UTSW, UCSF, Michigan, U Washington
Yale, UVA, Pitt, Columbia, UCLA, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Cornell

Internal medicine
Hopkins, MGH, BWH, UCSF
And many others (UCLA, U Chicago, UTSW, BIDMC, Cornell, Mayo, Mt Sinai, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Yale, Pitt)

Neurology
Partners (MGH/BWH), UCSF; Hopkins, Columbia, Penn
Wash U, Mayo, UCLA, BIDMC, Stanford

Neurosurgery
MGH, Columbia, Hopkins, UCSF, Mayo, Barrow Neurological Institute
BWH, Cleveland Clinic, U Washington, Wash U, Penn, UVA, Baylor, Pitt, USC
Stanford, Emory, UCLA

Ob/Gyn
BWH, UCSF
Pitt/Magee, Northwestern, UTSW/Parkland
Wash U

Ophthalmology
Bascom/Miami, Wilmer/Hopkins, MEEI/Harvard
Wills/Jefferson, Jules Stein/UCLA, Iowa
Duke, Doheny/USC, Beckman/UCSF

Orthopedic Surgery
HSS, Mayo, Harvard
Jefferson, Wash U, Iowa
NYU-HJD, Pitt, Rush
U Washington, Penn, UCSF
Cleveland Clinic, Duke, UCLA

Pathology
BWH, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford
MGH, Penn, UVA, Duke, Wash U, U Chicago, U Washington
Mayo

Pediatrics
CHOP, Hopkins, Boston Children's
UC Denver/Children's Colorado, Baylor/Texas Children's, Cincinnati Children's
Case Western/Rainbow Babies, UTSW, CHLA, Chicago Children's, U Washington/Seattle Children's, Pitt, DC Children's National
And many others (Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Children's Mercy in Kansas, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Utah, Emory, Indiana, Ohio State, UCSF, Stanford, U Michigan)

Plastic Surgery - Integrated (very very rough)
Penn, Pitt, NYU, Harvard, U Washington, UTSW, Hopkins/UMD, U Michigan
Wash U, Baylor, Northwestern, UCSF
Stanford

PM&R
RIC/Northwestern, TIRR/Baylor, Mayo, U Washington, Kessler/UMDNJ, Spaulding/Harvard

Psychiatry
MGH/Mclean, Columbia
Cornell, UCSF, UCLA, Yale
Wash U, Hopkins, Pitt, Stanford, NYU, Penn, Harvard Longwood, Cambridge Health Alliance

Radiology
MIR/Wash U, MGH, UCSF, Penn
Hopkins, Duke, Michigan, BWH
UCLA, U Washington, NYU, Stanford

Radiation Oncology
MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan-Kettering, Harvard
Stanford, UCSF, U Chicago, U Michigan, Penn, Wash U, Yale, Duke, Wisconsin, Hopkins

Urology
Hopkins, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, UCSF
MGH, BWH, Vanderbilt, U Michigan
Penn, Columbia, Baylor, Duke
UCLA, Northwestern, Cornell, UTSW, Emory, Pitt, Wash U

I'd take Hopkins off the first line for peds. There's the big two, then everyone else, same for MEEI for ophtho.

For rads, I'd group all the programs after the top 4 in one big group. Also the list for people considering IR would be drastically different than people focused on DR, so that would change things a lot.

Anesthesiology
Hopkins, MGH, UCSF
BWH, Stanford, Columbia, Duke
And many others (Penn, Wash U, Michigan, U Washington, UAB, Mayo, Cornell, Wake Forest, UCLA, UVA, Wisconsin)

Dermatology
Penn, UCSF, NYU; Harvard, Stanford
Yale, Columbia, Michigan
Mayo, Miami, Emory

Emergency Medicine
Methodist/Indiana, Cincinnati, Denver, Hennepin, Carolinas, Pitt, Highland
Chrisitiana, Vanderbilt, UCLA-Harbor, Cook County, Emory, Harvard/BWH
??? USC-LAC, King's County, Maricopa, UNM, U of A, U of M, UCSD

ENT
Hopkins
MEEI, Pitt, U Washington, Iowa, Michigan
Vanderbilt, Wash U, Mayo, UNC, Baylor

General Surgery
MGH, Hopkins
Penn, Duke, BWH, Wash U, UTSW, UCSF, Michigan, U Washington
Yale, UVA, Pitt, Columbia, UCLA, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Cornell

Internal medicine
Hopkins, MGH, BWH, UCSF

Neurology
Partners (MGH/BWH), UCSF; Hopkins, Columbia, Penn
Wash U, Mayo, UCLA, BIDMC, Stanford

Neurosurgery
MGH, Columbia, Hopkins, UCSF, Mayo, Barrow Neurological Institute
BWH, Cleveland Clinic, U Washington, Wash U, Penn, UVA, Baylor, Pitt, USC
Stanford, Emory, UCLA

Ob/Gyn
BWH, UCSF
Pitt/Magee, Northwestern, UTSW/Parkland
Wash U

Ophthalmology
Bascom/Miami, Wilmer/Hopkins, MEEI/Harvard
Wills/Jefferson, Jules Stein/UCLA, Iowa
Duke, Doheny/USC, Beckman/UCSF

Orthopedic Surgery
HSS, Mayo, Harvard
Jefferson, Wash U, Iowa
NYU-HJD, Pitt, Rush
U Washington, Penn, UCSF
Cleveland Clinic, Duke, UCLA

Pathology
BWH, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford
MGH, Penn, UVA, Duke, Wash U, U Chicago, U Washington
Mayo

Pediatrics
CHOP, Hopkins, Boston Children's
UC Denver/Children's Colorado, Baylor/Texas Children's, Cincinnati Children's
Case Western/Rainbow Babies, UTSW, CHLA, Chicago Children's, U Washington/Seattle Children's, Pitt, DC Children's National
And many others (Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Children's Mercy in Kansas, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Utah, Emory, Indiana, Ohio State, UCSF, Stanford, U Michigan)

Plastic Surgery - Integrated (very very rough)
Penn, Pitt, NYU, Harvard, U Washington, UTSW, Hopkins/UMD, U Michigan
Wash U, Baylor, Northwestern, UCSF
Stanford

PM&R
RIC/Northwestern, TIRR/Baylor, Mayo, U Washington, Kessler/UMDNJ, Spaulding/Harvard

Psychiatry
MGH/Mclean, Columbia
Cornell, UCSF, UCLA, Yale
Wash U, Hopkins, Pitt, Stanford, NYU, Penn, Harvard Longwood, Cambridge Health Alliance

Radiology
MIR/Wash U, MGH, UCSF, Penn
Hopkins, Duke, Michigan, BWH
UCLA, U Washington, NYU, Stanford

Radiation Oncology
MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan-Kettering, Harvard
Stanford, UCSF, U Chicago, U Michigan, Penn, Wash U, Yale, Duke, Wisconsin, Hopkins

Urology

I'd take Hopkins off the first line for peds. There's the big two, then everyone else, same for MEEI for ophtho.

For rads, I'd group all the programs after the top 4 in one big group. Also the list for people considering IR would be drastically different than people focused on DR, so that would change things a lot.

Oh what would the list look like for IR in your opinion?

Would still like to see FM list.

Last edited:
Oh what would the list look like for IR in your opinion?

(in rough order) jhu, Penn, Stanford, northwestern, Ucla, bwh. Mir/ucsf/Mgh/duke/Michigan/Washington/nyu a bit lower.

Miami and MCW would be higher than they are on the reg list.

Urology

Lahey Clinic (tufts) should definitely be on this list. Maybe 3rd line?

Is there a reason why so few Chicago/Illinois programs make the top list in any specialty???

Lahey Clinic (tufts) should definitely be on this list. Maybe 3rd line?

Urology

The top 4 look good. After the top 4 there probably shouldn't be more tiers. You could make a strong argument that Pitt, UCLA, Emory, and WashU are better then most of the 2nd and 3rd line. Agree that lahey should also be up there.

For what it's worth, I found a conversation with an NIH leader last year helpful for learning the top residency programs in OB/GYN. In case it helps anyone, by reputation and regions:

Ob/Gyn
East Coast: BWH, Yale, Penn, Pitt/Magee, Brown
Midwest: Wash U, Northwestern (+/-)
South: UAB, Duke, Emory (+/-), UT Southwest/Parkland
West: UCSF, Univ of Wash, Stanford

I'd take Hopkins off the first line for peds.

HerPM4c.gif