Completed MPH...Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercury1980

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Im very new to this field, and am writing this post to get info for a friend who recently completed her MPH. My question is what are the options once you have your MPH degree. Do you have to do an internship? If so, how does one go about it? Do you apply through ERAS for the residency match? Can you get a job directly after completing the MPH without any internship? What kind of jobs would those be and how do you apply for them?

I would really appreciate any replies!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi
Im very new to this field, and am writing this post to get info for a friend who recently completed her MPH. My question is what are the options once you have your MPH degree. Do you have to do an internship? If so, how does one go about it? Do you apply through ERAS for the residency match? Can you get a job directly after completing the MPH without any internship? What kind of jobs would those be and how do you apply for them?

There is no "residency" for MPH graduates (unless they're also MDs or DOs), so no match process.

People generally apply for jobs directly. Some jobs (usually lower-paid ones that provide entry-level experience) are called "internships", and these may (but don't necessarily) lead to higher-paid, regular jobs at the organization offering them. Depending on prior experience, many MPHs are able to find jobs with international or government agencies (e.g. CDC, NIH, state and local health departments, WHO, UN), nonprofit health and human service related organizations, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, universities, large companies (especially with an occupational/environmental health degree), etc.

There are many places to look for job opportunities; your friend's best place to start may be the career services office at the university that granted the MPH degree. Some other popular sources of job listings are Public Health Jobs [http://www.publichealthjobs.net] and the Public Health Employment Connection website from Emory [http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/PHEC/phec.cfm].

Congrats on getting your MPH :)

I know that there different parts of public health: epidemiology, health policy management, health communications, environmental health, health education, etc...

It really depends on what you're looking for.....I heard that there are health communications internships at the National Institute of Health in bethesda, maryland.....Check CDC in Atlanta as well, along with Johns Hopkings, UAB, and others....

If you are interested in healthcare policy and management, then you can check into some post-graduate fellowships...Look at www.ache.org for more information or "google" healthcare administration fellowships on the google sight...

Many people with the MPH apply for and definately get these post-graduate fellowships; you can get benefits, competitve salaries, meet many people, get mentors, make many contacts, etc...I've heard people say that the fellowships are rewarding for those with MPH, MHA, and MBA

ACHE - stands for the American College of Healthcare Executives..

Good luck! :)