Completely lost on where to start studying for sociology/psychology section...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use older MCAT review books to study for the other sections, since not much has changed. However, I really am lost on where to go to study for the sociology/psychology section of the test.

It seems the AAMC expects us to pull up the topic review list, and then hop around a variety of online sources and textbooks to find the necessary information. This seems inefficient and cumbersome.

Is there a review book that contains all the necessary information for this section? For those who have already started studying, what sources are you using to study for sociology and psychology?

Members don't see this ad.

Khan academy has most of what you need at the moment and are adding videos to complete the topic list. These videos are accurate and checked by the AAMC, and they also have practice passages for this section.

Tpr has a psych/sociology content review book. Next step also has one. you can get them through amazon. In terms of practice, next step has a strategy and practice book on it, then as mentioned above Khan has some as well.

Tpr has a psych/sociology content review book. Next step also has one. you can get them through amazon. In terms of practice, next step has a strategy and practice book on it, then as mentioned above Khan has some as well.

Does the NextStep book have actual content review though? I read some of the reviews on Amazon, but it seemed like the book was basically just all practice passages.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think ExamKracker Psych book is pretty good if you sub with Khan Academy

Are you using it currently? The reviews on Amazon don't seem that great for the TPR Sociology/Psych book, and there are zero reviews for the EK book.

About how often do you need to supplement the EK books with KH?

I'm wondering too. I have the kaplan book. Right now I'm making flash cards. I need to figure out where to find some practice passages.

Practice passages are definitely the need for this section. I know NextStep has a book of practice passages (not their review book, this is separate), EK has some included in their book, Khan has a decent amount, Princeton has one per chapter, and of course from the AAMC test.

Yes, NextStep does have a review book for Psych/Soc which is separate.

So I never took any psych or soc class (I was a non-science major who just never had the time/space in my sched). Right now I have kaplan books for both and I'm really hoping that's enough.

Are you using it currently? The reviews on Amazon don't seem that great for the TPR Sociology/Psych book, and there are zero reviews for the EK book.

About how often do you need to supplement the EK books with KH?

My situations is a little different because I am a Psych major and I believe EK does a good job going over broad topics. With my study schedule, I do a chapter than sub it with corresponding Khan vid

Here you go: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/prepare/
Go down page to "Psychology and Sociology Textbook Resource" and click "Download the study tool"

It is a listing of some textbooks AAMC recommends to cover the material, along with which sections cover which topics. The books used are linked and mostly free texts on the web. The spreadsheet includes these links.

Reactions: 1 user