Completely New to All This! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PossiblePreMed

AAAAH!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 27 years old, and I have a BA in Psychology. I was enrolled in a program for School Psychology at PCOM until a life-changing event got me thinking. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but never thought I could handle the science classes needed (even though I took extra sciences in high school, like Anatamy, Physiology and Physics). Recently, it has come into my mind that I should indeed pursue medicine if it really has been my dream all along, but I don't know if I have a shot. I feel that I have to at least try.

I have a 3.98 overall undergrad GPA (I graduated Summa Cum Laude) and a 4.0 Psych GPA, but my GRE scores were mediochre at best. I was president of my school's chapter of the Naional Psychology Honor Society, and I did an extra independent research study (above and beyond the one I had to do to graduate). I also tutored in Statistics. However, the only college level science classes I took were Biology and Earth Science. and Physiological Psychology, if that counts. I know I have to go into a Post-Bac program because I am lacking in sciences, but I have a few questions:

1- Are they really going to want to see my SAT scores? I have been out of high school for 10 years, and those scores are worse than my GRE's because I was irresponsible then.

2- Will I have to take a Calc or Algebra class?

3- Do you think I even have a shot at becoming a competitive applicant?

4- What advice can one give about locating shadowing/volunteer opportunities? Is that a problem because of HIPPA?

5-What else to they want you to have when applying to a Post-Bac program (i.e. good grades, good test scores, volunteer experience....?)

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Members don't see this ad.

PossiblePreMed said:
I am 27 years old, and I have a BA in Psychology. I was enrolled in a program for School Psychology at PCOM until a life-changing event got me thinking. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but never thought I could handle the science classes needed (even though I took extra sciences in high school, like Anatamy, Physiology and Physics). Recently, it has come into my mind that I should indeed pursue medicine if it really has been my dream all along, but I don't know if I have a shot. I feel that I have to at least try.

I have a 3.98 overall undergrad GPA (I graduated Summa Cum Laude) and a 4.0 Psych GPA, but my GRE scores were mediochre at best. I was president of my school's chapter of the Naional Psychology Honor Society, and I did an extra independent research study (above and beyond the one I had to do to graduate). I also tutored in Statistics. However, the only college level science classes I took were Biology and Earth Science. and Physiological Psychology, if that counts. I know I have to go into a Post-Bac program because I am lacking in sciences, but I have a few questions:

1- Are they really going to want to see my SAT scores? I have been out of high school for 10 years, and those scores are worse than my GRE's because I was irresponsible then.

2- Will I have to take a Calc or Algebra class?

3- Do you think I even have a shot at becoming a competitive applicant?

4- What advice can one give about locating shadowing/volunteer opportunities? Is that a problem because of HIPPA?

5-What else to they want you to have when applying to a Post-Bac program (i.e. good grades, good test scores, volunteer experience....?)

Thanks in advance for the responses!

1. Some postbac programs will want to see your SAT scores. I think most of the more competitive, structured programs require SAT scores. The more informal programs that offer less support do not.

2. You don't have to take calculus or algebra. But you will need to brush up on your math skills for physics and gen chem. I found physics hard after being out of school for 10 years. Lots of little math mistakes. Some med school do require calculus, but not very many.

3. It's hard to say what your chances would be without seeing more of your application. But your GPA is very good, especially if you went to a good undergrad school. I think the pscychology to medicine transition lends itself well to essays and interviews. So sure, it sounds like you could be competitive.

4. Most hospitals have volunteer departments. Call them up and see what kind of opportunities there are.

5. Postbac programs vary a lot. But the more competitive programs want good grades and/or good test scores. Ideally, they want both. But if you have one and not the other, I think you have a chance if you can explain the deficit. Extracurriculars are important too.

One thing to consider - you mentioned that your GRE scores were mediocre. If you're not a strong standardized test taker, the MCAT sucks. Some postac programs have linkages with med schools that don't require the mcat. They're competitive and hard to get into. But if you have a good GPA from a good undergrad college and good EC's, you might want to consider that route.

bkflaneur said:
1. Some postbac programs will want to see your SAT scores. I think most of the more competitive, structured programs require SAT scores. The more informal programs that offer less support do not.

2. You don't have to take calculus or algebra. But you will need to brush up on your math skills for physics and gen chem. I found physics hard after being out of school for 10 years. Lots of little math mistakes. Some med school do require calculus, but not very many.

3. It's hard to say what your chances would be without seeing more of your application. But your GPA is very good, especially if you went to a good undergrad school. I think the pscychology to medicine transition lends itself well to essays and interviews. So sure, it sounds like you could be competitive.

4. Most hospitals have volunteer departments. Call them up and see what kind of opportunities there are.

5. Postbac programs vary a lot. But the more competitive programs want good grades and/or good test scores. Ideally, they want both. But if you have one and not the other, I think you have a chance if you can explain the deficit. Extracurriculars are important too.

One thing to consider - you mentioned that your GRE scores were mediocre. If you're not a strong standardized test taker, the MCAT sucks. Some postac programs have linkages with med schools that don't require the mcat. They're competitive and hard to get into. But if you have a good GPA from a good undergrad college and good EC's, you might want to consider that route.

Thank you bkflaneur. I really appreciate the input.

I can explain more. I live near Philly, PA, so I have plenty of choices as far as post-bac programs are concerned. I attended a small, Catholic liberal arts college for undergrad. I have a lot of good extra curriculars from college, so I am not worried about that. Basically, my goals are to gain volunteer experience in a medical setting, possibly shadow a physician, and apply to Temple, Drexel, BrynMawr and West Chester's Post Bac programs. I am hoping for the one at Drexel because they have a night program for those who work, and, financially speaking, I have to work until I actually get accepted to med school.

I am not a strong standardized test taker at all, or, at least, I have gotten that in my head so much that I have psyched myself into low score both times I took the SAT and the GRE. (we're talking around high 700's for the SAT and mid 500's for the GRE----how someone with a 3.98 GPA can be that bad at standardized tests, I'll never understand). I am also in the process of getting that out of my mind. I think a structured post-bac program may help with that since they dedicate part of it to MCAT preparation. But who knows.. So far, that is my only concern about not being competitive with other candidates. I know I can do the work, and write the essays.

Thank you again. Any other input would be great. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
PossiblePreMed said:
Thank you bkflaneur. I really appreciate the input.

I can explain more. I live near Philly, PA, so I have plenty of choices as far as post-bac programs are concerned. I attended a small, Catholic liberal arts college for undergrad. I have a lot of good extra curriculars from college, so I am not worried about that. Basically, my goals are to gain volunteer experience in a medical setting, possibly shadow a physician, and apply to Temple, Drexel, BrynMawr and West Chester's Post Bac programs. I am hoping for the one at Drexel because they have a night program for those who work, and, financially speaking, I have to work until I actually get accepted to med school.

I am not a strong standardized test taker at all, or, at least, I have gotten that in my head so much that I have psyched myself into low score both times I took the SAT and the GRE. (we're talking around high 700's for the SAT and mid 500's for the GRE----how someone with a 3.98 GPA can be that bad at standardized tests, I'll never understand). I am also in the process of getting that out of my mind. I think a structured post-bac program may help with that since they dedicate part of it to MCAT preparation. But who knows.. So far, that is my only concern about not being competitive with other candidates. I know I can do the work, and write the essays.

Thank you again. Any other input would be great. :)

Math is not required, but many of the more competitive med schools require calc. I and II

I am on the same boat...I have recently decided that I want to be a doctor. I am finishing up my MBA right now and taking Chem 1 at the same time. You should be a competitive applicant...What you have done so far are far more than me. ;) But I am starting to volunteer at the hospital in my town so by the time I am ready for the MCAT I should have a good 2 solid yrs of volunteer experiences.

Anyhow, there isn't a post-bac program where I am so I am going to just take the requirements for the MCAT. If I get to medschool then that'll be great. If not I am happy with the job I currently have. But then I won't have to live with the "what if" factor. :)

All of the people I have told about my decision think I want to do that for the money. They are so WRONG. If it was the money, I would not going to invest the next 8+ yrs to go into enormous debt. sigh...That's why I stop telling people I want to go to med school now because of their perception on my motivation. Glad to see you guys out there wanting to do the same thing. I don't feel alone then.

Hi cutie monkey
I totally agree with the whole "what if" thing. That is another reason why I am doing it. I really want to be an Obstetrician, but my mom who is an RN is telling me that the liability insurance premiums are through the roof, and that she doesn't know if I'd be able to separate myself from the person so that I can help their medical issues. I think I can (I have had to do it with psych patients in the past) but I want to find out if I can before I try to get into med school, so I am also looking around at volunteering at hospitals near me.

Hello PossiblePreMed,

I know. I am a very emotional person. My mom said that I will become so attach to the patients emotionally and there may come a liability issue as my advice may not be from a professional point of view. Yike..she scares me sometimes but what she said makes sense too...

I'll be strong :) :thumbup:

Kudos to volunteering. I am excited to get started in the ER dept. :luck:

You should look into the U. of Penn post-bac program as well. I don't know what the SAT requirements are, but they will probably take into consideration your GRE score and GPA. The program is during the evening and isn't expensive. Go to www.upenn.edu and go to academic programs. Check out programs for working professionals and college of general studies and post-bac program.

Most times you can submit GRE scores in place of SAT scores. Calc is not required but some medical schools (mostly top tier) require it. If your aiming high, you might want to look into this further.

Thank you all for the help. If I did this poorly on the GRE, do you think I have a shot at the MCAT? I think it would be better for me because it is more subject-based than the GRE, but I don't know....