Complex/Advanced Medical Dermatology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sub2

Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone here had experience applying to complex medical dermatology fellowships or heard anything about them? I'm interested to know how competitive they are and what the process was like. I know there are only a small handful of them. I'm a PGY-1 starting derm residency next year; I think I most likely want to do academics and have thought a little about this fellowship. I'm doing a solely derm residency, not med-derm.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I didn't see this topic when I searched the forums. I'm starting derm residency next year (currently an intern) and I'm interested in cutaneous oncology especially CTCL and/or complex med-derm. I'm going into a categorical derm residency, not med-derm. I'm wondering if anyone has information on how competitive cutaneous oncology and/or complex med-derm fellowships are. I know they are not accredited officially and so far I've only seen a few (Stanford, UCSF, Penn, BWH) that seem to be truly for post-derm residency rather than as a gap year research for people who did intern year but who didn't match derm. Since there're only a few of these spots, I wonder if it's hard to get into, or maybe there aren't that many applicants to begin with? Also wondering how heavily research experience during derm residency would be valued. I want to do some research but the program that I'm going to doesn't particularly seem to allow dedicated/protected time during residency. If anyone has insights/advice please let me know! Thanks!

I'd like to hear other's advice about this too! Didn't realize this very similar post to mine has already been posted, oops. I'm also interested in cutaneous oncology as well as complex med derm.

Hopefully someone with more insight can lend their thoughts. I had a co-resident who was also interested in similar fellowships and was told by the programs themselves (so take that with a grain of salt) that they were very competitive. As you already mentioned, I think it's more a function of how few of these programs there are. That being said, I can't imagine there are that many applicants so if you demonstrate interest, my guess is you will be able to get in.