Composite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gary.espinosa

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a question for composite,some parts of my margins have this black color,even though there well sealed with no voids or clicks.what can it be from
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for composite,some parts of my margins have this black color,even though there well sealed with no voids or clicks.what can it be from

I think we need to define fine "well sealed".

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
Thanks

Are you burning the typodont teeth when you're prepping and that black burning debris is getting mixed into your composite? Other possibility is that you are burning the tooth during polishing. Typodont teeth tend to burn easily and create a black color. If it's the polishing, it will be black smears. If it is black specks, it is during prepping.

Reactions: 1 user
To avoid burning, you need to run your handpieces at a lower speed and don't press too hard. if water is available, use it.

Another thing to consider: when you are bonding, you should extend the bonding agent a few mm beyond the prep so that you don't end up with an unbonded edge of composite that can catch debris, especially when polishing.

Should I use more water or...?

If the source is during prep, use water. If it's occurring during polishing, it's the pressure you apply onto the ivorine portion of the tooth and the abrasiveness of your polishing tool. If it's a dull carbide you're using the polish, using a sharper one may help, but you're more likely to gouge the tooth/composite. Mildly abrasive discs are nice for polishing interproximals without the burning nor aggressiveness of carbide burs.