Computer-based MCAT (real thing) crashed on me during the test; your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med01

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the computer-based MCAT at an overseas location (no paper choice). The format is quite similar to the online AAMC tests.I had practiced on the computer-based MCAT.

About 20 mins into the PS section, when I clicked a "previous page" button,
the screen blanked on me, and then exited from the MCAT test!! Obviously there are no buttons to do this yourself.

I have no idea if the timer was ticking while this blank page was appearing, but I was soon waving my arms at the test administrator to come fix it. And it took some time to catch their attention because you're not supposed to exit the room. After 5 mins of the test administrator sitting at my station (during which time they told me to wait outside), they said they'd restored it to where it was.

Now, like most computer crashes, I didn't know how much data (i.e. answers) had been saved. I did not know if the last few questions when the blank screen came up were saved or not. So I tried to check these questions which I'd done, but they were scattered all over the place, and I just didn't have time (therefore, it's possible some answers weren't even saved, or could not have saved the correct answers). You can't even cross off the answer choices you've eliminated, so for some questions, I re-did them entirely to double check.

Finally I just had to move on, knowing that I didn't have time to re-check them all. Of course, I ran out of time on that section, and frankly was frazzled by the whole experience, wondering how to salvage it.

Because that was the beginning of thetest, the rest of the day was really bad because I just kept wondering how to salvage it and if my computer would work.

The test administrators said they'd filed a report with MCAT.

But consider the time and energy costs:
- I had to fly to another country and stay in a hotel for a day or two, so this was definitely not a cheap exercise.
- Also, I have been taking time off work for the past month or so, and took a few days off completely before the test. (so there is a monetary cost ). And obviously work projects have been put on hold.
- I have been prepping during the past 4 months.

I really do want to have valid scores by June because of rolling admissions. Frankly to take the test again in August has a significant cost. But these scores are definitely not reflective of my ability.

Your thoughts?

So,

Members don't see this ad.

My thoughts... Im so glad I didnt have to take it on a computer like those in 07 will have to. well its give an take, offered more times inthe future and its shorter, but its on a computer.

Id hate to have to take a test like that on a computer; not only b/c of problems like that, or that these test centers will prob have tiny 15" crappy monitors... but b/c I hate sitting in front of a computer reading things like that really concentrating. :/

Try to get in touch with the AAMC and talk to somebody about it. They may be able to find out for you if the info was saved, and they will also put a note next to your score saying it was received under non-ideal testing conditions.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! You definitely have my sympathy.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to Kaplan you should write a letter to the AAMC and explain what happened. They may send you back a letter of apology that you can copy and send on to med schools (some may take it into consideration when evaluating your MCAT score).

I'm sorry that happened to you!

gbiz said:
My thoughts... Im so glad I didnt have to take it on a computer like those in 07 will have to. well its give an take, offered more times inthe future and its shorter, but its on a computer.

Id hate to have to take a test like that on a computer; not only b/c of problems like that, or that these test centers will prob have tiny 15" crappy monitors... but b/c I hate sitting in front of a computer reading things like that really concentrating. :/
what do you mean those in 2007 have to take the mcats on computer? everyone has to take it on computer or do we still have the choice of paper?

furthermore, when you do the writing section is it on the computer as well (only benefit i can see), and do they give you scrap paper?

do you have more time doing it this way or no?

Hermit MMood said:
what do you mean those in 2007 have to take the mcats on computer? everyone has to take it on computer or do we still have the choice of paper?

furthermore, when you do the writing section is it on the computer as well (only benefit i can see), and do they give you scrap paper?

do you have more time doing it this way or no?

Yes, everybody will be doing it on the computer. No paper. No extra time but the test will be shorter (in an as-yet-unspecified manner). Everything is on the computer including the writing sample. Just hope they don't include the social skills (or whatever they call it) cr*p before you have to take it!