Conceptual understanding of a capacitor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texan2414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a bit of difficulty fully grasping the concept of capacitors as electronic elements.

Consider a simple parallel-plate capacitor:

- My first question is, if there is a resistor added to the circuit element containing the capacitor, how would this affect the capacitance? I postulate that capacitance (ability of capacitor to hold charge) would decrease as the resistor would "suck" charge (current) and dissipate it as heat, thus less charge return on capacitor → inefficient capacitor. Am I correct with my conceptual understanding of this?

- Secondly, I know the "q vs time" graphs for a discharging capacitor is an exponential decay - but how would "voltage vs time" and "current vs time" graphs look like for a discharging capacitor? Would they also depict decay? Why or why not?

I would really really appreciate it if someone could boil this concept down for me. I have missed quite a number of questions where I counterintuitively selected an answer which confused me even more :(

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Capacitance is an intrinsic property of the capacitor, it will not be changed by circuit elements. It is simply the ratio of charge to potential (Q/V).

If you increase the resistance of the circuit, the total charge on the capacitor will not change - but the rate at which it charges and discharges will decrease.

For the graphs; charge, potential, and electric field all decay (and increase) exponentially. The relationship between all of these components is linear, so they all change the same - exponentially.