Concern About Re-applying to Different Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewwy025

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A lot of the threads on the Re-Applicants Forum have been about concerns with re-applying to the same schools again, but my concern is actually about applying to different schools this time around. Specifically, my concern is that the new schools I decide to apply to this time around will ask themselves, "so why didn't he apply here in the first place?" and be more skeptical with my application-when in reality, I was constrained from applying to some of those schools in the first place because of financial limitations and a need for a wide spectrum of schools. I realize that committee members from these schools know that re-applicants tend to include new schools their second time around, but I don't want them to think that I have less inherent interest in their school(s). What can I do, besides to obviously talk about what interests me specifically about their school, to avoid this problem? Am I just being paranoid?

Just for reference, I was a very late applicant last year (AMCAS verified late September, most secondaries sent out late October-early December), and got one interview at UCLA. Had a great interview and was told I was a strong candidate, am currently wait-listed there (most likely not getting off, though) and was told that I likely would have been accepted had I applied on time. My AMCAS for 2009 should be verified any day now, so I will be receiving secondaries soon. cGPA 3.6, BCPM 3.7 MCAT 34 from a top 5 university. There have been 1 or 2 significant changes to my application (extracurricular/job this coming year) that I am including in my updated materials to strengthen my application, and I also acknowledged my reapplication in my PS.

If anyone has any idea, please give me your 2 cents! Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

A lot of the threads on the Re-Applicants Forum have been about concerns with re-applying to the same schools again, but my concern is actually about applying to different schools this time around. Specifically, my concern is that the new schools I decide to apply to this time around will ask themselves, "so why didn't he apply here in the first place?" and be more skeptical with my application-when in reality, I was constrained from applying to some of those schools in the first place because of financial limitations and a need for a wide spectrum of schools. Am I just being paranoid?

I've applied 3 times, first time 7 schools, 2nd 25ish and 3rd time 15ish schools. Every cycle I added on school which I didn't previously apply to and I was never asked 'why didn't you apply here last year' once. I don't think it's that big a deal and I doubt schools will focus on that in order to use it as some kind of screening device of applicants. So don't worry.