Concerns about vet school and medical issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CharlieMagz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
First-some background:
So I am a senior undergraduate. I have wanted to be a veterinarian for as long as I can remember and I was fortunate enough to get into one of those early acceptance programs and have worked hard to remain on good terms with the program.
However, this current semester has been exceedingly difficult for me. I have always had these small "glitches" if you will. Short, usually not exceeding 2 minutes spells of vertigo deja vu type sensations. But until just before classes started this semester I never thought anything of them as I'd only have maybe one a month, if that. But right before school started they started to become much more frequent-several a day. Interrupting everything I was doing-making it hard to focus and concentrate, causing me to be unable to drive etc. So thus began the unending bouncing around between doctors and imaging centers and labs until eventually I had a diagnosis. Not one I wanted mind you-epilepsy.
Now my grades have obviously suffered, not to the point of getting kicked out of the program but much more than I would have liked, throughout this ordeal. But my question is can I still become a vet? Is it even legal for me to be a vet? (Whenever I try to search veterinarian and epilepsy it always comes up with canine epilepsy case studies-not any instances of the vet himself/herself having the disease) Will I be able to handle vet school? I still have the vision in my head of taking over a rural or small town mixed animal practice but if I have to I know I may need to find a new career option. Does anyone know of any veterinarians with this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,
First-some background:
So I am a senior undergraduate. I have wanted to be a veterinarian for as long as I can remember and I was fortunate enough to get into one of those early acceptance programs and have worked hard to remain on good terms with the program.
However, this current semester has been exceedingly difficult for me. I have always had these small "glitches" if you will. Short, usually not exceeding 2 minutes spells of vertigo deja vu type sensations. But until just before classes started this semester I never thought anything of them as I'd only have maybe one a month, if that. But right before school started they started to become much more frequent-several a day. Interrupting everything I was doing-making it hard to focus and concentrate, causing me to be unable to drive etc. So thus began the unending bouncing around between doctors and imaging centers and labs until eventually I had a diagnosis. Not one I wanted mind you-epilepsy.
Now my grades have obviously suffered, not to the point of getting kicked out of the program but much more than I would have liked, throughout this ordeal. But my question is can I still become a vet? Is it even legal for me to be a vet? (Whenever I try to search veterinarian and epilepsy it always comes up with canine epilepsy case studies-not any instances of the vet himself/herself having the disease) Will I be able to handle vet school? I still have the vision in my head of taking over a rural or small town mixed animal practice but if I have to I know I may need to find a new career option. Does anyone know of any veterinarians with this issue?

I can't think of any LEGAL obstruction to you; it's not like being a pilot where you have to pass a medical every 6 months (or more rarely, depending on your certificate and the nature of your flying).

I think virtually all the other questions - will you be able to handle school, can you take over a practice - probably depend on how well controlled your condition is. I would bet the issues with grades in the current situation is more related to that period where you're just trying to figure out what's going on; so that's only a big deal if you can't correct it now that you have a diagnosis and (presumably) a treatment plan.

The first person I'd ask is your neurologist. He's a doctor; ask him if he thinks he could do it in your shoes. Best of luck!!