Concordia and Other Blended Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted to the Concordia Blended MOT program but I'm concerned about the online aspect of their blended program. I've taken online classes for undergrad before mostly for the convenience. However, I'm not sure I learned as much as I could have from an in-person course. Can anyone speak to the effectiveness of online classes for grad school? Or if you've also been accepted to or are already in this program I'd like to hear your thoughts as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted to the Concordia Blended MOT program but I'm concerned about the online aspect of their blended program. I've taken online classes for undergrad before mostly for the convenience. However, I'm not sure I learned as much as I could have from an in-person course. Can anyone speak to the effectiveness of online classes for grad school? Or if you've also been accepted to or are already in this program I'd like to hear your thoughts as well.

Personally, I dislike online. I don't retain as much information, but that is just me. I also don't retain as much information when sitting in lectures, as I am more of an auto-didact. Most of my learning as an undergrad was derived from reading books, with guidance from professors being auxiliary. I've had two professors jokingly state that I should teach their class.

My opinion however, is not representative, and I have little idea how blended learning works in that program. I took a course in CPR with a blended learning model and didn't like it that much.

If I had the choice, I would still consider a blended learning program, but I would ask further questions about how it is structured to see if I was a match to the program. There are several graduate programs that are blended, so online learning may be something that I just have to adapt to.

Last edited:
I have found that you get out of an online class what you put into it, and in some ways, online learning takes a certain level of self-motivation that a traditional classroom setting might not. After completing two degrees that were fully in-person, I did the majority of my prerequisites online, and really enjoyed them. I learned a lot, and see the ways in which that foundation will inform my OT school experience. I am currently enrolled in a hybrid program, which to be quite honest, is not a whole lot different than what BHSUStudent describes - lots of outside reading and studying, with professors as a touchpoint for questions and clarifications. However, we also have in-person class and lecture time (as well as cadaver lab), so it's not as if we are wholly disconnected from a traditional learning environment. Granted, I'm only two weeks into it, but it doesn't seem all that jarring in comparison to my prerequisite experiences, except there is a lot more work, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, from what I understand, the expectation in graduate school is that students become independent learners, because once they enter their profession they have to take the initiative to self-learn. So with the blended model, it may take more independent learning, motivation, and self-discipline because you get less personal time with professors (but graduate school to some degree, tends to be that way anyway).

Has anyone had experience with hybrid/blended/online graduate school or OT programs? I'm in a position where I would need to secure my place and start the program in January before finding out if I got into any traditional programs. Knowing how competitive it is for admission, I really need to take this opportunity seriously. Advice is appreciated! Did you feel like you still received a well rounded education that prepared you to practice?

In case you don't get any feedback here, I think NBCOT first time past rates may serve as a quantitative indicator of program effectiveness.

Congrats....I just found out today that I was also accepted into the blended program at Concordia. I am also hesitant towards this program, but when they told me their undergrads take most of the traditional spots, I told them to consider me for the blended program. I have been applying for 3 years so my decision is easier to make. However if a traditional program offers me a position before January, I would be more inclined to accept.

I am going to call them tomorrow to know about total tuition costs and when the start date for this Winter class begins.
-Bob

I know these posts are from awhile ago, but I have a couple questions in regards to Concordia's blended program for those of you who applied there. I applied to Concordia for the traditional program, not realizing that most of the spots are saved for undergrads, and once I talked to someone about it they suggested I apply to the blended program. So they are using my current OTCAS application and reviewing it for class starting in January 2015. When did you guys apply for the blended and when did you find out if you were accepted? I am currently wait-listed at a couple of schools, but Concordia is one of my top choices so I am wondering if I will find out before August or not so if I do get in somewhere else. Also, if you guys are currently in this blended program, how do you like it??? Any feedback is appreciated it. Thank you!

Hello,
Did anyone in this thread start attending the Blended program at Concordia? Looking to apply there for Winter start.

Is anyone in this forum attending this program and wouldn't mind answering my questions as a prospective student for Concordia University?

Is anyone in this forum attending this program and wouldn't mind answering my questions as a prospective student for Concordia University?
I was wondering if you ended up in Concordia's blended program and if so, could you give me any insight about the program? I recently got accepted and I don't know much about it.