conditional acceptances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

champSJL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all -

Sorry if this has been done to death before but I'm kind of new to these forums. I just recently heard about Drexel's DMPS program (http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/dpms.asp) where you may take a handful of classes and you get accepted into their medical school by maintaining a minimum GPA and minimum MCAT score when you take it.

My question is, are there other medical schools that do this? Are there schools in the Caribbean that do this as well? So far, this is the only one I've found...

Anyone who can help - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

champSJL said:
Hello all -

Sorry if this has been done to death before but I'm kind of new to these forums. I just recently heard about Drexel's DMPS program (http://www.drexel.edu/med/ims/dpms.asp) where you may take a handful of classes and you get accepted into their medical school by maintaining a minimum GPA and minimum MCAT score when you take it.

My question is, are there other medical schools that do this? Are there schools in the Caribbean that do this as well? So far, this is the only one I've found...

I don't know of any other schools with an program exactly like Drexel's program, but from the sounds of it, it's seems like a post-bac program with the addition of a guaranteed acceptance if you meet their requirements.

If you're interested in post-bac programs, I believe AAMC has a list of them.

Sam

champSJL said:
Hello all -

University of Louisville has the same kind of program. It is called G.E.M.S. (Guaranteed Entrance To Medical School) program. I think many schools have similar kind of programs offered to high school graduates.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU CHM has something like that - the "ABLE" program
http://www.chm.msu.edu/chmhome/admissions/able.htm
it's a form of conditional acceptance. When I was interviewing, one of the students was in the program and said it reduced the load first year, cause she took some of the classes ahead of time and it helped her adjust. but you can't choose to get into the program, after you interview, committee decides if you get put in it.

Rochester has a similar guaranteed admission program: REMS (Rochester Early Medical Scholars). Keep the undergraduate GPA up and you don't need to take the dreaded MCAT, but you need to give Rochester $30, 000/year in undergraduate fees first (must do your undergraduate degree there) and you are not allowed to apply to any other medical schools.

About the Drexel one... I can't totally speak to the DPMS experience, but I did the PMED program, which also has a conditional acceptance. It's not exactly like you get certain grades and a certain MCAT score and you're in. You apply to Drexel Med in late winter/early spring and are interviewed after that. I interviewed in early February. (I was only given a week's notice, which was pleasant...) After you're interviewed, you get reviewed by the admissions committee and they decide whether or not to "conditionally accept" you. In my case, they didn't get back to me until mid-April- five days before the MCAT, which was really cute. I did in fact get the conditional acceptance and am now just waiting on my MCAT score to "seal the deal". So it's not really like you get certain grades and an MCAT score and you're in.

Again, I'm not positive that DPMS works like this. Also, word on the street is that only a teeny tiny percentage of DPMS students end up going on to Drexel Med. Why this is, I have no idea. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that it's because of the quality of teaching (both the classes and MCAT prep)... But I couldn't be sure.

There was a girl on SDN with a 5 on the PS section of the MCAT and she was offered conditional acceptance to Jefferson if she took the April MCAT and scored an 8 or more in that section. Last I heard, she withdrew her application.