Conditional Permanent resident VS. Permanent Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penzi755

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I know the difference between Conditional Permanent Resident (CPR) Vs. Permanent Resident as:

CPR is based on marriage/family etc and usually green card has an expiry date of 2 years and you have to apply to remove the condition to become PR before that expiry date (which is usually not a difficult thing unless you are no longer married to the spouse who sponsored you--rare situation)

My question is, does choosing CPR vs PR makes a difference as far as MyERAS is concerned? Do PDs use this as criteria to filter out applicants? If so, what's the rational behind it? That they don't want to interview someone whose green card may be expiring in 2 years? But that's the case with EAD cards as well. Normally they expire every year and you havce to renew them.

Basically I'm not sure why they have CPR as one of the visa types there and what its repercussions could be. Does someone know?

Also, does changing PR from CPR a good idea? Would it show up to PDs if someone changed this value? If you do, does this wipe out previous value and replaces with the new or PDs have some way of telling that it was update from this to that?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi how are you?? it has been a while since the last post. However, i have a question, i am a conditional permanent resident, and they have the option in ERAS i am applying this year but i wonder whether programs will see the difference and that will affect my application??

Thanks