Conductors vs Insulators

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labqi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I hope studying is going well. When I was doing the PR online course, I think I may have misunderstood a concept. I was under the impression that insulators can't transfer charge. But they can be polarized. But after doing some TBR, I noticed that the insulator (glass rod) rubbed with silk (conductor) actually has the electrons stripped away. My question is, can insulators transfer electrons to conductors then? If thats the case, how is it insulating if it has the ability to lose electrons. I thought if anything, the electrons would be transferred to an insulator.

I hope someone can clear this up, it is really nagging on me.

Members don't see this ad.

All materials can transfer electrons. IIRC, conductors simply have many mobile electrons that can jump and pass from one side to another... whereas insulators have very very few mobile electrons.

Thanks! Are we responsible to know the Lenz law. TBR is destroying me in the electrostatics section. It is nothing like TPR, or Kaplan.

Members don't see this ad :)
FML....Ill try to watch some videos on youtube I guess.
Thanks for the insight in any regard!