Confused about application timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zinger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am hoping someone can help answer a question I have about the application timeline!
I apologize in advance if I have I am severely misinformed. :help:

So I've been getting emails from my undergraduate institution (recently graduated) forwarding information from Podiatry schools encouraging students to apply this cycle.

It is my understanding that the "priority deadline" is April 1 and the overall deadline is June 30 for the Fall 2014 entering class. So I assume that anyone who is submits an application now is pretty late.

Questions
1. For those who apply by the April 1 deadline and is accepted, when would they matriculate?
2. I believe that the next application cycle starts in August - is this accurate?
3. When would be the earliest that schools begin to accept applications and extend interviews for the entering 2015 class?

My confusion stems from my understanding that Podiatry schools are still accepting applications under a "priority deadline" in April 2014. But the application for the 2014 entering class started back in August of 2013 (8 months ago). It just seems late to still be accepting students given that the application cycle started quite a while ago.

If my information is accurate, I plan on applying in August 2014, and matriculating in the Fall of 2015.
Would this be an appropriate plan?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and answer my post!:)

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you submitted your app and were accepted at a school, you would start in August 2014 (so you would be apart of the Class of 2018).
2. Yes, I believe the first day of the NEXT cycle begins on August 1.
3. Even if you submit on August 1 schools won't be extending interviews until around early to mid Sept. as it takes some time to verify all sent transcripts, scores, etc.

- Right now, the smaller schools are probably getting to the brim of being filled if not full (small schools include ones like DMU, AZPOD, Western, and I think some others). Have you taken your mcat? With an above decent MCAT score (24-25+) and good GPA/ECs you might have a chance landing a spot at some of the larger schools but of course it is fine to wait until August 1 to submit FOR THE NEXT CYCLE.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong with any of this info.

I'd love to tell you to apply today and take a chance on the larger schools. However, with your stats, you should wait until August 1st. Judging by your first post, you don't have a good chance at all the schools, you have a 99.9...% chance at all of the schools. If your goal is a larger school then apply now, however if you wait just one more year, you will be able to attend the school of your choosing...with scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the bad things about applying this late is that you get far less opportunities for scholarships and of course the smaller schools are no longer an option regardless of your stats.

Thank you to everyone who has responded!
I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my questions.
Everything is much clearer now :)