Confused about how to pick schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to choose which schools I want to apply to but don't even know where to start. My first "sorting" of schools was by price. I was setting my limit at 43,000 a year. However, I was watching a video on YouTube and the guy was talking about loan forgiveness programs and that you don't have to worry about your debt. Is this true? I'm so confused.

Members don't see this ad.

First go by numbers if money is a constraint, then go by geographic locale.

How to make a list

1. LECOM
2. In-state schools
3. places you want to attend for geo and prestige
4. low tier places you are willing to settle with if 1-3 fail.

Choose until you reach 12-15.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First go by numbers if money is a constraint, then go by geographic locale.
Well money is a constraint unless the loan forgiveness thing is true. I've never heard of it before until I watched that video. Apparently you pay your loans based on your income for 10 years and then your loans are forgiven?

How to make a list

1. LECOM
2. In-state schools

I know LECOM is super cheap compared to the rest, but does this imply anything about the education and/or lack of anything? It just seems weird that all the other schools are so much more.

I know LECOM is super cheap compared to the rest, but does this imply anything about the education and/or lack of anything? It just seems weird that all the other schools are so much more.

I doubt it's lacking and if it is, it's still to a point that is tolerable. Regardless 20k less a year is enough for you to be quite content with your situation.

They are super strict on lecture attendance and dress code. Also I think they use exclusively a PBL curriculum so that is definitely something to consider.

They are super strict on lecture attendance and dress code. Also I think they use exclusively a PBL curriculum so that is definitely something to consider.

Erie has LDP and DSP. Bradenton and Seton Hill are PBL only.

You will either get into a state school and have a varying amount of debt around $150,000; or you will get into a private school with a debt somewhere around $250,000

Apply to both, go where you get in. But remember that if you flunk out after a few years, you owe that money.

How to make a list

1. LECOM
2. In-state schools

Pretty accurate list, I took #1 out though because PBL scares me haha. Otherwise, thats basically how I did it:
1) Places my wife could find work (so any school with 200K+ people within 30 minutes)
2) Places that have a super solid rotations and reputation (ironically sort of goes hand in hand with #1 except for a for schools).
3) low tier/backup
Cross check to make sure none of your schools have major cost issues (MSU for out of state) or have massive in-state bias (OSU and TCOM). Then check anything else goofy (OUCOM has 5 year contract), stuff like that.

Did this until I narrowed down 12 schools: 3 reach, 6 that I line up with their averages, 3 low tier.