confused between 2 opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Petrichor1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This past may I got a job offer to work at a clinical lab and I was ecstatic to begin as this was something I wanted to do. However, upon my entry, I have been basically doing monkey work ever since and I'm supposed to be trained more rigorously but I doubt I would get my inspiration back again. Just FYI, this is a full time position and takes place at odd hours. On the other hand, I also am doing some side research for free and I have become more enamored by the research environment. I am more happy to report that a) it takes place at decent time/hours b) the work I do is time-managed by me; I don't really deal with smells and that other jazz I deal with at my full time job. The only thing stopping me from pursuing this full time is a) it doesn't pay a dime b) I just don't have enough time to do more even though everyday I want to.

I have hinted my PI about how I am only doing my full time job for financial support...but on most occassions he has not said any follow-up things that may suggest he is considering funding me.

My question is: should I bring this up one day directly? I am literally having to work 18 hours every day like a mule and I am miserable. At the same time, if tomorrow PI does have funding and I quit my full time, it may look bad in my evaluation or that the uncertainty of funding may bust up on my face and I may not retain either jobs. However, I also see a VERY BIG concern. This is my gap year and sadly because of my awful time schedule I cannot study for the MCAT. If my PI gives me research position, then I may be able to study and secure my future. Please advise me (those that have experience) on what I should do. I really don't know whether I should quit the research or quit the full time job.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.....anyone? I am also thinking of nih irta but the pay is like minimum wage and usually then I'd probably try for part time work to make up for opportunity cost. Can anyone tell me the salary of a lab manager? I may try finding this at other places too.