Confused between answer choices:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortyfive

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is one of the questions from CBT7 BS passage:

Most people infected with H. Pylori do not develop gastric cancer because they:

a) do not incorporate bacterial chromosomes into their genes
b) have robust immune systems that defeat early cancers
c) eradicate the infection before any tumors develop
d) tolerate the infection without developing tumors

The correct answer given is choice D and I understand the reasoning behind the answer. But, isn't choice C saying the same exact thing in a different way...?

What makes choice D a "better" answer?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well the question says they're infected and yet don't have tumors, so it's asking you how that could happen. If they have fought off the infection already, the paradox no longer exists. Plus C implies that everyone with an active H. pylori infection should develop tumors, which isn't true.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the passage, but the difference is that the body doesn't get rid of the infection. According to a paper here (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17382275), "the immune and inflammatory response is ineffective, allowing lifelong bacterial persistence"
Well the question says they're infected and yet don't have tumors, so it's asking you how that could happen. If they have fought off the infection already, the paradox no longer exists. Plus C implies that everyone with an active H. pylori infection should develop tumors, which isn't true.

Thank you! :) I understand it much better now!

When I did this sample question, I was confused by why the answer could not be B. The immune system is responsible for killing off early cancers/cancer cells (before they even become full on tumors, which result from cancer cells multiplying quickly). So why couldn't the fact that the immune system is killing off the cancer cells be the reason why we don't see cancer in those patients infected by the bacteria?

(And the fact that the answer choice is D implies that when they say "cancer," they mean full on cancer with tumors and all)

When I did this sample question, I was confused by why the answer could not be B. The immune system is responsible for killing off early cancers/cancer cells (before they even become full on tumors, which result from cancer cells multiplying quickly). So why couldn't the fact that the immune system is killing off the cancer cells be the reason why we don't see cancer in those patients infected by the bacteria?

(And the fact that the answer choice is D implies that when they say "cancer," they mean full on cancer with tumors and all)

The passage explicitly states that persistent infections occur because the bacterium evades typical immune responses. Hence, that answer choice is incorrect based on the passage.

Keep it simple. Did the passage talk about the idea of eradication? Did this concept ever come up? If not, then go for the more mellow answer. This is a good tip when you get stuck between two answer choices. Pick the one that is more inline with the passage.

Status
Not open for further replies.