Confusion over when to include Departmental Chair letter in application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zebrafisher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How much weight does the Chair letter have? Only in relation to your school classmates also going into IM?

So, a program asks for 3 letters, without specifying a chair letter. My chair letter comes from someone I have met once and frankly didn't seem to like me very much. It is likely the weakest of my 4 letters. So do I submit my 2 strongest letters plus the chair? 3 strong letters without the chair? Or just stop ****ing overthinking it and just submit all 4 letters to all the programs that ask for 3 without specifying a chair?

So, a program asks for 3 letters, without specifying a chair letter. My chair letter comes from someone I have met once and frankly didn't seem to like me very much. It is likely the weakest of my 4 letters. So do I submit my 2 strongest letters plus the chair? 3 strong letters without the chair? Or just stop ****ing overthinking it and just submit all 4 letters to all the programs that ask for 3 without specifying a chair?
3 letters is a minimum. Just send 4 to everyone.

I have 5 letters total, including my department letter. I am assuming my department letter is the weakest overall because I did not work with the clerkship director directly, but I did do really well on the IM clerkship. For the programs that do not specify if they want a department letter, should I still send it or should I send my 4 other letters that are stronger? I don't see my department letter adding anything to my application since my clerkship comments are already in the MSPE, unless there is something else included in that letter that I am not aware of. I appreciate any advice, thanks!!