Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cells4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I requested a committee letter from my school recently. However, I was reading on the boards how med schools generally require 2 science and 1 non science. Does the non science refer to non science academics OR is it like an extra curricular activity? In addition, since all the writers of my committee are science letters, do i need to add in the non science letters into the packet or is the committee letter sufficient? For the majority of schools I looked, most of them require the committee but I am a little bit confused. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I requested a committee letter from my school recently. However, I was reading on the boards how med schools generally require 2 science and 1 non science. Does the non science refer to non science academics OR is it like an extra curricular activity? In addition, since all the writers of my committee are science letters, do i need to add in the non science letters into the packet or is the committee letter sufficient? For the majority of schools I looked, most of them require the committee but I am a little bit confused. thank you!

Non science means that it was not from a science professor and instead it generally means it was from another class. That means anthro, Spanish, psych, etc.

As for the requirements, it will vary by school. Some wave their letter requirements if you have a committee letter and some don't. You would probably be better off getting a non science letter and including it in your app, whether in the committee letter or if you have it sent separately.

Last edited:

For all of mine they specified a committee letter OR 2 science LOR.. so you may want to check and see if there is an either/or option. I would assume either non-science or extra curricular is fine for the non-science one. It only stipulates "non-science"... just make sure it's an awesome LOR. For my non-science I got a LOR from my supervisor (which happens to be my research mentor at a hospital... so technically in the science field, but not from a science prof). I think the main thing is that it should not be from a science professor. Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
It is referring to a professor from a non-science course. It still needs to be a professor of some sorts. However, like others have said, usually a committee letter can be substituted for any requirements.

I did not have a non-science lor, just the committee letter (3 science lor and 1 supervisor). Just check your schools to make sure it says committee letter OR 2 science 1 non-science. If you're nervous about it, it isn't too late to also submit a non-science lor.