Cons of being a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbook2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am not happy with my MCAT score so I am thinking of applying to some schools that were on my safety list this year and updating them with a retake on Jan. 2016 MCAT score.

Since I am not too optimistic about my odds, I won't be surprised if I don't get accepted to any this year and would apply again next year.

My question is what exactly are the cons of being a re-applicant, aside from the cost and emotional distress?

Like do med schools put re-applicants in a separate pile or something along those lines?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think some schools won't look at a file until the second results if the applicant is signed up to re-take the MCAT. The adcoms who have commented can shed some more light on whether that only happens if the applicant indicates a re-take or if the AAMC or something else notifies them if one is scheduled.

If you apply to Canadian schools, re-applicants tend to have a preference if they show any improvements in their application, because this demonstrates dedication to the medical profession.

I think the same philosophy would apply to most US schools. The only downside is that certain schools may have limitations on the number of times you can reapply, so you really want to make sure that your application is significantly improved before applying again. If this means taking a 2+ years to improve, then do so because it will have a stronger impact on your chances. There are a few Canadian schools like this too that limit reapplications to 2 or 3 max.

I think some schools won't look at a file until the second results if the applicant is signed up to re-take the MCAT. The adcoms who have commented can shed some more light on whether that only happens if the applicant indicates a re-take or if the AAMC or something else notifies them if one is scheduled.
Many will screen a complete application,without regard to a planned re-take.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you apply to Canadian schools, re-applicants tend to have a preference if they show any improvements in their application, because this demonstrates dedication to the medical profession.
I am not aware of any US school that professes a preference for re-applicants or presumes dedication based only on re-applicant status. Many re-applicants do still get in, though.

I am not aware of any US school that professes a preference for re-applicants or presumes dedication based only on re-applicant status. Many re-applicants do still get in, though.

I did say "if you apply to Canadian schools". My statement about proving dedication through reapplying is something I have heard through multiple successful medical students, as well as professors. And needless to say, a reapplicant must also show efforts to improve themselves to show that dedication - not just reapply without any changes, or worse wasting a whole gap year.

I did say "if you apply to Canadian schools". My statement about proving dedication through reapplying is something I have heard through multiple successful medical students, as well as professors. And needless to say, a reapplicant must also show efforts to improve themselves to show that dedication - not just reapply without any changes, or worse wasting a whole gap year.
Yes, there are regional differences. I'm told that TX is similar in this regard.