consensus about using "additional info" in secondary for "WHY this school" essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkPEACE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools provide pretty large character limits for their "additional info you want us to know" sections. i know this could be used for updating the schools, explaining grade fluctuations, etc. but in instances where schools have special separate essays for those topics, then is this additional essay meant to serve as a WHY this school essay?

i've read conflicting things from various threads of schools with secondaries like this. some more advice would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

If the question asks if there is anything else you want to say, then it is not meant to be a "Why School X?" essay. If they really wanted one, they'd just come out and ask. As far as whether or not that's appropriate to write, it depends on the school and the way the prompt is worded. For example, Oakland just said on Twitter yesterday that they don't want "Why Oakland?" in response to their "anything else" question.

It would probably help to have a specific prompt that you were asking about in order to give you better advice.

No, I would not use an "additional information" essay prompt as a "why this school" prompt. I've seen some people do this when I was on the admissions committee at my school, and it comes across as a bit tryhard, particularly since our secondary already included a prompt that was effectively a "why this school" prompt. I would stick to actual information that you either didn't include in your application or feel like was not sufficiently elaborated on elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think every applicant should have their own personal list of things they want to communicate to each school -- stories that illustrate certain characteristics such as altruism, resilience or persistence, diversity or challenges overcome. They can generally be worked into any number of prompts with a little tailoring.

I think every applicant should have their own personal list of things they want to communicate to each school -- stories that illustrate certain characteristics such as altruism, resilience or persistence, diversity or challenges overcome. They can generally be worked into any number of prompts with a little tailoring.
I agree to a certain extent, but I have seen a lot of posts on this forum that indicate that many applicants want to tailor their interpretation of the prompt to a particular essay instead of tailoring their ideas/stories to the prompt. This often results in responses that maybe sort of answer the question if you stand on your head and close your eyes. I agree that it is important to highlight your excellent traits and qualifications, but it seems like a lot of people take this a step too far.

Last edited:
I agree to a certain extent, but I have seen from a lot of posts on this forum that indicate that many applicants want to tailor their interpretation of the prompt to a particular essay instead of tailoring their ideas/stories to the prompt. This often results in responses that maybe sort of answer the question if you stand on your head and close your eyes. I agree that it is important to highlight your excellent traits and qualifications, but it seems like a lot of people take this a step too far.

I'd agree with that also and think that's an important point. I'm not suggesting you 'make the prompt fit the essay' but rather see if the stories you want told can be adapted to answer the questions asked. You'd use a few sentences here or there - maybe a paragraph - rather than re-writing just the intro and conclusion.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it acceptable to explain (own up to) a crappy undergrad gpa and sell yourself with a stellar mcat/ SMP in these?

Shouldn't that be self apparent, though? The adcoms know what a stellar SMP looks like. A sentence about how your study skills are much better now doesn't really add that much: they can probably assume that.

I used the "additional info" section as an opportunity to discuss why I wanted to go X school. None of the other essay topics included in the secondary gave me the opportunity to discuss my (compelling) reasons for wanting to attend the school. It was a top 20 school and I was admitted. Just my two cents.

I used the "additional info" section as an opportunity to discuss why I wanted to go X school. None of the other essay topics included in the secondary gave me the opportunity to discuss my (compelling) reasons for wanting to attend the school. It was a top 20 school and I was admitted. Just my two cents.

Having a "compelling" reason beyond "I really want to go here" would, I think, be appropriate. For example, saying that you have strong family ties/a spouse who works in the area/whatever would likely be helpful information if you really have nothing else to say.

sWould it be acceptable if the school has no essay already asking why this school and it is a state school that I am not a resident of, but have family ties to that aren't readily apparent elsewhere on my application. I would of course also mention things other than family ties, but thought that without mentioning them the school might wonder why I would be applying there out of state.

sWould it be acceptable if the school has no essay already asking why this school and it is a state school that I am not a resident of, but have family ties to that aren't readily apparent elsewhere on my application. I would of course also mention things other than family ties, but thought that without mentioning them the school might wonder why I would be applying there out of state.

What kind of family ties? Random Aunt Margie lives in the same area? Or do you have a spouse with family there?

"Family ties" is so broad that it can be significant or next to useless.

My grandparents went and met there as did my aunt and uncle, my mother also went there. I don't have immediate relatives that live there, but my uncle's family does.
Note: Relatives went to other graduate schools connected to same university not the medical school, which is why it wouldn't be obvious since there is no option for indicating something like that.

My grandparents went and met there as did my aunt and uncle, my mother also went there. I don't have immediate relatives that live there, but my uncle's family does.
Note: Relatives went to other graduate schools connected to same university not the medical school, which is why it wouldn't be obvious since there is no option for indicating something like that.

I believe it would make some sort of impact on your application, but not very significant. It wouldn't hurt to add it though.

I doubt that will have any meaningful impact on your application.

I know obviously it wouldn't make them much more likely to accept me, but would it be reasonable to do and also allow me to get in a why this school essay or would it come across as trying too hard? I just figured it might make sense to do because otherwise the school would wonder why the hell I was applying there. I also realized that one of those relatives did attend the medical school although I don't think that makes much of a difference.

I know obviously it wouldn't make them much more likely to accept me, but would it be reasonable to do and also allow me to get in a why this school essay or would it come across as trying too hard? I just figured it might make sense to do because otherwise the school would wonder why the hell I was applying there. I also realized that one of those relatives did attend the medical school although I don't think that makes much of a difference.

I think it comes across as trying too hard. The ties aren't that strong and while I understand where you're coming from, schools will not be convinced or impressed. It seems like your grasping at straws.

Beyond "why this school," what do people usually write about? I feel like I've explained myself pretty thoroughly through my primary application and most secondaries, so I don't have much to add other than maybe writing an essay about why I love the hobbies I do (kind of like Michigan's "what are you passionate about?" secondary question). I don't think I really have any unique situations I've overcome that haven't already been covered in my application. However, the Pre-Med committee at my school told us in no uncertain terms that we are NOT to leave the optional essays blank so I'm trying to think of something.

Last edited:
Beyond "why this school," what do people usually write about? I feel like I've explained myself pretty thoroughly through my primary application and most secondaries, so I don't have much to add other than maybe writing an essay about why I love the hobbies I do (kind of like Michigan's "what are you passionate about?" secondary question). I don't think I really have any unique situations I've overcome that haven't already been covered in my application. However, the Pre-Med committee at my school told us in no uncertain terms that we are NOT to leave the optional essays blank so I'm trying to think of something.

For one of my schools (I think it might be yours, NickNaylor? lol), I wrote a few sentences about why I really want to stay in the area the school is in and why it is my top choice (I currently live there, have strong connections to the area, my boyfriend of 2 years owns a house here so not moving is definitely our top choice, and I have worked extensively with the patient population in a non-clinical setting already), is that appropriate?
I don't agree with your school's pre-med committee. If an essay is optional but you have no response to it, you shouldn't answer it just so you don't leave it blank. This is especially true for schools that have other, not optional essays. If you have already written a few essays that help them get to know you better, you don't need to write an optional essay that doesn't say anything meaningful just because you feel bad leaving a question blank. Schools will most likely be able to tell if you're just answering because you feel like you should, and some may not like it very much. Some schools actually word their optional questions such that they hint at the fact that not everybody should be answering.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't agree with your school's pre-med committee. If an essay is optional but you have no response to it, you shouldn't answer it just so you don't leave it blank. This is especially true for schools that have other, not optional essays. If you have already written a few essays that help them get to know you better, you don't need to write an optional essay that doesn't say anything meaningful just because you feel bad leaving a question blank. Schools will most likely be able to tell if you're just answering because you feel like you should, and some may not like it very much. Some schools actually word their optional questions such that they hint at the fact that not everybody should be answering.

Haha. Like Boston University.

It translates to: "do NOT write this optional essay UNLESS YOU HAVE A REALLY ****ING GOOD REASON. Thank you for your cooperation."

Reactions: 3 users
Haha. Like Boston University.

It translates to: "do NOT write this optional essay UNLESS YOU HAVE A REALLY ****ING GOOD REASON. Thank you for your cooperation."
And yet there are so many people who will write an essay in response that says absolutely nothing useful.