MD & DO Considering CNRA's came to be in 1956 and so far MD/DO Gas docs are making more and have stable employment, where did the negativity come from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage of Pale Bones

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of depressing threads from 2006/2009/2012 etc. about Gas or Anesthesiology losing jobs and being paid less, but the statistics seem to say otherwise. Its 2019 and:

Automation doesn't look like it happening any time soon [https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-robot-intended-to-replace-anesthesiologists/]

Job outlook is high [Anesthesiology career guide: qualifications, job outlook & salaries]

CNRA's have been around for > 60 years yet Anesthesiologist have had increasing salaries and job growth. Also it seems the only states that op-out of CNRA's needing supervision are the ones that just do not have enough MD/DO's to go around [States That Allow CRNAs to Practice Independently]

Sallary is high ~370K -420K depending on how you are employed [Medscape: Medscape Access]

So, I guess my question is: Is Anesthesiology still "doomed" in 2019?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• gif1.jpg
    gif1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 133
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops, did I miss a similar post? I did a quick search under CNRA but nothing really talking about it in 2019...
No but on SDN the last couple of months there have been multiple threads about how medicine is doomed and how being a doctor is unfair.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Nurse Anesthetists have been around since 1877.

GAS was awesome where I just finished up my OB/GYN rotation. They came in and did all the cool ****, let the CRNA sit on the patient during the procedure, then came back in at the end. In the mean time they went around the hospital and did more cool **** (lines, intubations, sedations, blocks, etc.)...

Reactions: 3 users
Nurse Anesthetists have been around since 1877.

Turns out that it wasn't that hard to tell pts to swig some rum and chomp down on pieces of wood while their legs were being sawed off.

Today, we understand far better the parameters that constitute hemodynamic, neurological, and cardiovascular stability. "Providers" must raised their collective game, and that generally is achieved with having MDs managing care.

Im less worried about anesthesia than radiology.

My problem with anesthesia is mostly, why would I want to work so hard to become a doctor when I will effectively just be a highly educated nurse manager?

People were making 4-500k 20+ years ago. They’re making the same 4-500k now. They’re probably working harder now as well for that $$. The big money partnerships are drying up, management companies are a cancer to the field. Medicare/Medicaid offers horrible compensation. Medicare for all, without adjustments for us, will kill the field.
Lots of problems, CRNAs are the least of them. They’re the loudest, but not the biggest.