Considering military medicine programs, have a conduct record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

해병놈아

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that most of the people in this forum aren't military doctors, so I really hope I get lucky and someone has any input on this. I'm an active duty Marine, more than halfway through my enlistment now, and am highly interested in Psychiatry. I realize with most of these programs you might not get the specialty you want, but that's a problem for another time. Anyways, early in my career I decided the way to deal with my mental health issues was with alcohol, and earned myself 2 article 15's in the span of 6 months. Things have turned around since then, but I realize especially with the drawdowns, a record of misconduct is a no-go. Unfortunately these are field grade and will not go away. I'm hoping that the medical program is more lax on this aspect, any military doctors have an idea about this?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that most of the people in this forum aren't military doctors, so I really hope I get lucky and someone has any input on this. I'm an active duty Marine, more than halfway through my enlistment now, and am highly interested in Psychiatry. I realize with most of these programs you might not get the specialty you want, but that's a problem for another time. Anyways, early in my career I decided the way to deal with my mental health issues was with alcohol, and earned myself 2 article 15's in the span of 6 months. Things have turned around since then, but I realize especially with the drawdowns, a record of misconduct is a no-go. Unfortunately these are field grade and will not go away. I'm hoping that the medical program is more lax on this aspect, any military doctors have an idea about this?

Not a military doc (yet, waiting for the board to pick me for DCO), but I can tell you with the two article 15's it's going to be very difficult for you to ever re-enlist if you get out and with the drawdown and medical scholarships being so competitive you are going to have a tough go of getting into any medical branch even AMEDD.

Were you planning on applying for HPSP to complete your degree in medicine? You might be able to get out and use your GI Bill and post 9/11 monies to complete school then if we get into another conflict the size and scope of the last two, they might grant you waivers to get into the reserves or active duty in AMEDD. I don't know if you would be able to do ROTC while you're doing your degrees or not with the article 15's and prior service if that would be a no go or not. Something you could talk to a recruiter about.

I would say your best bet would be talk to an AMEDD recruiter or Navy med recruiter.

I appreciate the response, I completely get why they would be reluctant to accept me, I always heard that the military is always desperate for doctors but I suppose that isn't the reality, especially recently. I have an associates degree from my military training, and was planning on getting a bachelors with my gi bill after I got out, and possibly trying for HPSP to pay for medical school. It's not the end of the world if I can't commision, as I assume it's still possible to help servicemembers as a civilian pshychiatrist, just without the uniforms or military bull****, or having to keep uprooting your family or deployments. Just figured it would be nice to have no debt and receive a stipdend while studying, oh well. Just gotta work my ass off and try anyways, I take it that the army being the largest branch they'll have the highest demand, I will definitely research AMEDD, thank you. Another doc on forum advised me to use my experience as an "inspirational" life story and motivator when applying, maybe someone will give me a break. But since you have inside and direct experience, do you think prior enlistment or knowing multiple languages can effectively increase an applicant's competitiveness? I hear at least with OSO's they go out of their way to make racial quotas, is there any of that in HPSP? Did you get the speciality you wanted, and if yes was it difficult to obtain?

But I really appreciate the reply, good luck to you in military medicine, and if you're not prioer enlisted, I hope you can adjust well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think being prior enlisted is a plus for hpsp. It has been very long time since I applied for hpsp...I don't remember there was selection in hpsp application about prior article 15s...in any case as long as you do not have active substance disorder when you apply for hpsp I think you should be okay esp since military will need more doctors in few years given current military climate with favorable employments for military docs. Also it would important that you receive a honorable discharge and you need to meet standards to get security clerance as officer. Finally if your GPA and test scores are high you will eligible for automatic acceptance to hpsp. Work on things you can control now. Good luck!

I appreciate the response, I completely get why they would be reluctant to accept me, I always heard that the military is always desperate for doctors but I suppose that isn't the reality, especially recently. I have an associates degree from my military training, and was planning on getting a bachelors with my gi bill after I got out, and possibly trying for HPSP to pay for medical school. It's not the end of the world if I can't commision, as I assume it's still possible to help servicemembers as a civilian pshychiatrist, just without the uniforms or military bull****, or having to keep uprooting your family or deployments. Just figured it would be nice to have no debt and receive a stipdend while studying, oh well. Just gotta work my ass off and try anyways, I take it that the army being the largest branch they'll have the highest demand, I will definitely research AMEDD, thank you. Another doc on forum advised me to use my experience as an "inspirational" life story and motivator when applying, maybe someone will give me a break. But since you have inside and direct experience, do you think prior enlistment or knowing multiple languages can effectively increase an applicant's competitiveness? I hear at least with OSO's they go out of their way to make racial quotas, is there any of that in HPSP? Did you get the speciality you wanted, and if yes was it difficult to obtain?

But I really appreciate the reply, good luck to you in military medicine, and if you're not prioer enlisted, I hope you can adjust well.

I can't give you any info on the HPSP. Like I said an AMEDD recruiter would be your best bet for some info. With the drawdown they are getting more selective on everyone from enlisted to direct commissioned officers in all branches including guard and reserves. It goes in cycles.

When you do your statement of motivation for the HPSP packet you can definitely mention how the two article 15's were a learning experience. Prior enlistment would help I'm sure. No clue about the prior languages.

My specialty is pretty rare in the military 72C Audiologist. I am going for the reserves rather than active duty. I want to serve, but I have a great civilian job that it took me years to get and a young family.

I would say use your GI bill to get your undergrad degree. Study hard and do a lot of extracurriculars. Get into labs to help with research. Get into Psychology labs to help with research. A good GPA and research experience will definitely help on any medical application. In 4 years who knows we may be back in a major conflict and standards loosen up a lot again and who knows what can happen.

I wish you the best of luck!

You need to be able to prove remission. My aviators have to have not only maintain sobriety (as in zero alcohol)...but also AA there times weekly, monthly SARP and PCM evaluations, and yearly mental health evaluations.

If medical school is your goal, I'd recommend saving your GI Bill to pay for med school. To complete undergrad, find a low-cost state college and pay out of pocket. You'll get way more bang for your buck this way. Good luck with your journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk