considering OT, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinganca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been doing the pre-physical therapy track, and I've been wandering around an acute hospital wing doing observation hours. While there, the rehab director suggested I also spend a bit of time observing speech pathologists and OTs there too, just to get a feel for different facets of rehab.

I've actually been really intrigued with OT, and have been doing some research and am thinking of possibly switching tracks. But there's one thing that's stopping me. You might think this makes me a terrible person, but I absolutely do not want to work in a psychiatric setting. I feel quite at home in the rehab hospital, and I love working with the elderly (so SNF or home health would be just fine), and would have no problem working pediatrics, or in a school setting, or outpatient clinic...or just about any setting other than psych. I just know myself and know that that is one thing I couldn't handle.

I know pretty much every OT program would require an internship in a psych setting, and that's OK. I just couldn't handle having to work in that setting day in and day out for any considerable length of time. Does this mean I'm not cut out to be an OT at all? :( Or is it feasible to make a career in settings other than psych institutions?

Members don't see this ad.

Less than 20% of OT's work in psych settings, so you would not be alone in not wanting to make it your life's work. But having the knowledge in you back pocket will help in whatever setting you do.

Tell a MH field work supervisor that you have no interest in MH and s/he may fail you for poor attitude so keep it to yourself, if you get that far.

I've been thinking along the same lines actually, so it's good to hear that I'm not the only one considering a change. I have a friend who is already through the school portion of a MOT program and we've been talking back and forth a lot. I also don't feel I've been called to work with special needs populations, so it was good talking to her to see all the different settings, so that door is still open for me.

She says that they do mini clinicals throughout the school portion which include 1 week of each of: peds, ortho, and a few Fridays in geriatric/neuro/psych settings. And if you like geriatric settings, she said there is a huge need. They work a lot with Dementia and Alzheimers.

Hope that helps.

I am hoping to get into OT school this year, and I am the complete opposite. I would much rather work in a psych setting than in a hospital. A lot of people would find it depressing, but I think it is interesting personally.