Considering taking a W, impact?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gr8expectations

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in a genetics class that's interfering with work. I'm considering dropping it and taking a W, mainly because it is interfering with a very good research opportunity (with time and travel-constraints, they cannot be done well at the same time). However, I'm concerned this will have a negative impact on my chances. Many posters seem to think one W is not a problem, though others do. I don't want anyone to think I was failing the class - that's not the case.

Background: This would be the only W on my transcript, I have already graduated with my bachelors (nontraditional, decided to take genetics for further enrichment/experience), my cumulative GPA is a 3.96 with a science GPA of 3.95. I will not be taking any other additional classes beyond this point. I've finished the prerequisites and several additional upper-level biology classes.

Thoughts? While I know a W wouldn't impact my GPA, I've heard rumors that some schools really frown upon W's and will not accept a candidate that has one. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: