Consultation Corner: Ideas for a formal consultation group agenda/topics.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We just advocated for and got a schedule block for a once a month release for a formal consultation hour at my work with all the psychologists. I was wondering if anyone had any formalized agendas or ideas for things to include.

Ideally, we could staff some cases, but I'm also thinking about putting a cultural section in.

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
My team has a standing weekly hourly meeting and each week of the month has a loose theme (e.g., 1st week is case consultation, 2nd week is self-care/wellness check-in, etc). Plus we do updates/logistics.

Of course, content isn't limited to just that topic but perhaps each monthly meeting could have a theme for consultation (Jan = DEI factors, Feb = ethics, March = a specific treatment that may include a mini didactic, etc). If that feels too structured, maybe staff could informally chat leading up to each meeting and identify a theme based on what feels relevant that month.

Hope it goes well and people are excited to participate!

Well if testing is something your site does you could add that as one of the topics. Maybe discussing the pros and cons of a new version of a specific test, a particular type of test battery, addressing diversity factors in testing, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

We just advocated for and got a schedule block for a once a month release for a formal consultation hour at my work with all the psychologists. I was wondering if anyone had any formalized agendas or ideas for things to include.

Ideally, we could staff some cases, but I'm also thinking about putting a cultural section in.

thanks,
One area I've noticed that is often under-appreciated is the importance of knowing how to respond to threats (or potential threats) of violence. Knowing the literature, knowing how to respond (lean INTO it and fully assess...don't 'run away' from it or pretend they didn't say it), knowing the case law on duty to protect in this area, knowing your state's laws regarding 'dangerousness to others,' knowing the involuntary commitment process, etc.

One area I've noticed that is often under-appreciated is the importance of knowing how to respond to threats (or potential threats) of violence. Knowing the literature, knowing how to respond (lean INTO it and fully assess...don't 'run away' from it or pretend they didn't say it), knowing the case law on duty to protect in this area, knowing your state's laws regarding 'dangerousness to others,' knowing the involuntary commitment process, etc.
As a pediatric psych, this is a huge area of weakness for me because I just don't deal with young adult population more. It's totally an area I want to improve in, because I do see some transition age patients, but usually they're not their own guardian.

Reactions: 1 users
As a pediatric psych, this is a huge area of weakness for me because I just don't deal with young adult population more. It's totally an area I want to improve in, because I do see some transition age patients, but usually they're not their own guardian.
Well...I'd be incompetent myself in THAT area (dealing with these presenting issues in minors), lol, it would be it's own "kettle of fish" indeed.

Reactions: 1 user