Contacting resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wvnc32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current MS4 and I have decided what specialty I am planning on matching into. When I was on that rotation last year, my chief resident was a really great teacher that I really enjoyed working with and is one of the people that encouraged me to choose this specialty. He has since graduated and moved away, so I haven't spoken to him in a while. Is it considered weird to send him an email or a text to let him know that I have picked this specialty and that his teaching had a big impact on me? Would a resident appreciate hearing this or would they likely not even remember me and find it odd to hear from me out of the blue like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current MS4 and I have decided what specialty I am planning on matching into. When I was on that rotation last year, my chief resident was a really great teacher that I really enjoyed working with and is one of the people that encouraged me to choose this specialty. He has since graduated and moved away, so I haven't spoken to him in a while. Is it considered weird to send him an email or a text to let him know that I have picked this specialty and that his teaching had a big impact on me? Would a resident appreciate hearing this or would they likely not even remember me and find it odd to hear from me out of the blue like this?

They might not remember you, but I think most residents would be happy to hear their efforts to teach and encourage a student had a positive impact.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That feedback is always welcome, well-received or not.

Depends on the person and your relationship with that person. If it matters to you then you should message them. Worst case scenario they don’t reply.... most likely they will and especially if this field is small, you might be professionally acquainted long term anyhow.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, I would thread carefully if I were you, doing this could jeopardize your medical career. You worked this hard to come this far...don’t throw it all away....You can always send emails like this when you’re an attending.

JK...dude OF COURSE IT’S OK! It’s more than OK. You’re injecting positivity into someone else’s life for free. You’re not even saying it because you need something from them. How could you consider anything bad come out of this? Go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
They may or may not remember you, but I would love to hear from former students I worked with if I made a difference in their career path.

I receive messages from former residents, fellows and students fairly often and I enjoy reading them.

Many times, they're excited to share good news with me, and I always like to hear good news!

It's not negative or weird - so go ahead and send out an appreciative shout-out to your former chief resident!

Definitely network. Don't be awkward about it - just connect and let them know you're applying into that specialty and would like to chat about it if they have time.