Continued validity of LizzyM scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a_borgia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you applying with the new MCAT, how do you feel (so far based on IIs and such) that the LizzyM score holds up? I think I'm at LizzyM > 80, and I'm curious to see how other people in the same range have been doing this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what exactly are you asking

I'm interested in how people who have taken the new test feel that their LizzyM score (compared to an institution's LizzyM score) is predictive of their success in acquiring IIs, or in the future, admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in how people who have taken the new test feel that their LizzyM score (compared to an institution's LizzyM score) is predictive of their success in acquiring IIs, or in the future, admission.
they look at percentiles. Translate your new score to old mcat score than you will have your answer.

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you applying with the new MCAT, how do you feel (so far based on IIs and such) that the LizzyM score holds up? I think I'm between an LizzyM of 83 and 84, and I'm curious to see how other people >80 have been doing this cycle.

that humblebrag

Reactions: 29 users
that humblebrag

Hey, no better place than SDN. I'm just trying to find out info from some people who applied early. I'm a solid 6 weeks behind on the "good" applicant, so I can at least look at people who have gone through secondaries and IIs earlier.

Hey, no better place than SDN. I'm just trying to hunt out some people who are less stupid than me and applied early. I'm a solid 6 weeks behind on the "good" applicant, so I can at least look at people who have gone through secondaries and IIs earlier.
...and how would knowing how people who applied early are doing with IIs help you in any way?

Hey, no better place than SDN. I'm just trying to find out info from some people who applied early. I'm a solid 6 weeks behind on the "good" applicant, so I can at least look at people who have gone through secondaries and IIs earlier.
The LizzyM formula applies to the old MCAT. As far as I know, it hasn't been updated for the new version. An 83 LizzyM is stratospheric (implying something like a 4.0 gpa and 43 MCAT).

The LizzyM formula applies to the old MCAT. As far as I know, it hasn't been updated for the new version. An 83 Lizzy is stratospheric (implying something like a 4.0 gpa and 43 MCAT).
giving him/her exactly what she wants to hear ;)

Reactions: 5 users
I'd rather convert my old MCAT into the new one. I think my LizzyM is about a 558

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's do the math... we need to convert the current MCAT to something in a range of 10-45. I'd suggest, just off the cuff, taking the percentile of your total score on the new MCAT and dividing by 2.5. Plug that number in and compare your estimated LizzyM score to schools' average gpa and average MCAT on the old exam.

EDIT: this works for high MCAT scores but not so much for middle scores in the mid-50th percentile where the denominator would be closer to 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Let's do the math... we need to convert the current MCAT to something in a range of 10-45. I'd suggest, just off the cuff, taking the percentile of your total score on the new MCAT and dividing by 2.5. Plug that number in and compare your estimated LizzyM score to schools' average gpa and average MCAT on the old exam.

Does this mean there is no effective difference in scores from 522 to 528, since they are all the same percentile?

Interesting, when doing it this way, i get a higher number than if i convert my 2015 MCAT score to the old MCAT scale using percentiles and using that in the equation. The way i have been doing it yields a value approximately 3 points lower than the proposal in your reply on this thread.

I know it's just to give a general ballpark estimation in the first place, but now i'm hoping your proposal here is more accurate than my previous method of calculating. And since you are the LizzyM, i think i'll defer to your suggestion on how to calculate it for 2015 MCAT scores! Anything to make me feel better about not having heard back from any schools yet! :)

I'm just trying to get a feel for a way to convert a number of 500 or more into something in a range of 25-45.

78.26 vs 79.3 is pretty damn close and either way is good for even the top tiers. Above a certain LizzyM score (76-ish) you are likely good for any school without further refinement of the LizzyM score.

For those of you applying with the new MCAT, how do you feel (so far based on IIs and such) that the LizzyM score holds up? I think I'm at LizzyM > 80, and I'm curious to see how other people in the same range have been doing this cycle.

This is a perfect example of someone with very high stats who may not be a great candidate.

Even after 3 or so posts your question still is incomprehensible. There are charts indicating what the equivalencies are, so that can't be your question. And why would a high LizzyM score (translated version or not) mean anything different in terms of admissions than it always has?

I mean, exactly how would you expect candidates with a >80 LizzyM would be doing this cycle???

Reactions: 1 users

I.e. use an @efle percentile transform seen in my signature.

/end thread

On second thought, this is more like converting temperatures from Fahrenheit to Centigrade. If a 500 is equivalent to 50th percentile is equivalent to a 26 then the divider at 50th percentile should be < 2. I do think that the table is the way to go rather than a formula.

This is a perfect example of someone with very high stats who may not be a great candidate.

High stats like OPs can certainly gain him interviews and acceptances. But a humblebragging personality certainly won't help him gain friends once he's in ;)

High stats like OPs can certainly gain him interviews and acceptances. But a humblebragging personality certainly won't help him gain friends once he's in ;)
if he can go through the interview without letting that side show lol

Even after 3 or so posts your question still is incomprehensible. There are charts indicating what the equivalencies are, so that can't be your question. And why would a high LizzyM score (translated version or not) mean anything different in terms of admissions than it always has?

I mean, exactly how would you expect candidates with a >80 LizzyM would be doing this cycle???

The AAMC is pushing toward a more holistic, less numbers oriented admission standard to accompany the changes in the MCAT. It is not entirely unnatural to assume that the LizzyM score, which is entirely numbers oriented, may have less validity in light of these two major admissions changes.

I honestly cant stand people who humblebrag, I have a LizzyM score of ~81, but you do not see me parading around SDN posting it in every thread

Reactions: 6 users
The AAMC is pushing toward a more holistic, less numbers oriented admission standard to accompany the changes in the MCAT. It is not entirely unnatural to assume that the LizzyM score, which is entirely numbers oriented, may have less validity in light of these two major admissions changes.
it is just as valid as it always was.

So your question is actually how much to value the LizzyM score, not how it's different for the new MCAT like you first said? No one ever claimed that it dictates who will get in where, it's a tool that is useful when deciding where to apply.

All hope is not lost for the OP, he has not yet told us how much he can bench.

So you think 80+ now counts against those folks? You theory is that they will have a drop in interviews and acceptances?

OP, the only point in mentioning your LizzyM score was to show it off. It actually adds nothing of contribution to this thread and there is a better way to phrase your question.

But this?
"I'm curious to see how other people with 4.0 GPAs and 40 MCATs fair in the admissions process."

Give me a break lol

Reactions: 1 users
So you think 80+ now counts against those folks? You theory is that they will have a drop in interviews and acceptances?

I'm not anticipating a drop per se, but there is a possibility the correlation between a LizzyM that matches an institution's past average and chances of an II no longer are at as high an R value as seen previously.

OP, the only point in mentioning your LizzyM score was to show it off. It actually adds nothing of contribution to this thread and there is a better way to phrase your question.

But this?
"I'm curious to see how other people with 4.0 GPAs and 40 MCATs fair in the admissions process."

Give me a break lol

The saltiness is unneccessary. There's plenty of marginal candidates from both ends of the spectrum who seek advice on SDN, the point being that this is a national collection of applicants rather than "my pool of friends." Why is it so inconceivable that in light of so many changes to admission standards, stats may no longer hold the place they used to?

On SDN, a 36+ equivalent is the new 30, so a 40+ equivalent is the new 35 :smug::smuggrin:.

Sadly, a 45/528 will always be the same ol' 45 +pity+
Lol, wasn't talking about the score. I just thought he was being a hypocrite talking about hating humble bragging and doing that in the same sentence :laugh:

I honestly cant stand people who humblebrag, I have a LizzyM score of ~81, but you do not see me parading around SDN posting it in every thread
image.jpg

Edit: I didn't realize you were kidding.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not anticipating a drop per se, but there is a possibility the correlation between a LizzyM that matches an institution's past average and chances of an II no longer are at as high an R value as seen previously.

Are you worried?

Maybe schools will use the MCAT as a cut off ... above 505? Good to go if the GPA > 3.5 (or 3.4, or 3.2 or wherever a given school makes the cut). I think that AAMC would like that to be the case with less a focus on numbers and more of a focus on the middle of the range rather than the extremes and for applicants to be judged on experiences and essays but I doubt that will happen because number ****** will still be number ******.

Last edited:
OP wants to know if people with old LizzyM scores of 80 are getting interviews.

New and old LizzyM scores, actually. I'm interested in how changes in the MCAT and admission criteria affect how schools approach high student stats.

If you check the individual school threads you will see plenty of II for high stat new MCAT scores.