Contouring and plan review in TPS other than Eclipse or Pinnacle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Photoner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with planning systems other than the two traditional ones? E.g. Raystation or Monaco. How are they in terms of contouring and reviewing tools, easy of use, etc? I.e are they physician friendly, or only physicist friendly?

Members don't see this ad.

Some in our practice use MiM for contouring (not treatment planning), and they like it. I use it for deformeable registration but still contour with Eclipse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We use Focal from Elekta. It's not bad. Velocity needs some time to get used to it. I was rather overwhelmed by MiM and its multiple features.

"I was rather overwhelmed by MiM and its multiple features."

I have no trainging in MiM and this my immpresion of it the few times I have used it. Not friendly to new users at all but other docs swear by it.

Monaco is not dosimetrist friendly. Their Monte Carlo algorithm takes hours to run a VMAT plan. Makes you feel bad for wanting to optimize little things.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
MIM is the best in the game.

Reactions: 3 users
also like mim. Eclipse/pinnacle/ (heard good things about raystation); everything else is trash. Not TPS per say, but have been very impressed by EZ fluence scripting.

Raystation is very physician-friendly; smooth and easy contouring, countless (relatively straightforward) algebra and contour manipulations, fusions are easy to work with, custom scripting available for a variety of contouring functions, and robust and straightforward plan evaluation modules (easily can view DRR, beam set up, DVH, fusions with treatment plans, etc.). Overall probably my favorite to work with (comparing to MIM, Eclipse, Pinnacle, and iPlan), however I am told it is quite expensive and typically not found outside of academics.

I love MIM for contouring. We have MIM/Eclipse for contouring but only Eclipse for planning/review (if someone contours in MIM we always transfer to Eclipse for dosimetry/physics).

I think most of our...more experienced attendings and 50-75% of the residents prefer Eclipse over MIM due to familiarity. I would agree that MIM might have a marginally more steep learning curve but some of the functions are incredible. In particular, deformable registration as already mentioned but I LOVE the 4D-ITV built-in workflow for SBRT, in particular lung SBRT. I will occasionally experiment with the Atlas (auto-contouring) function in MIM but I think the technology isn't quite there yet. In my hands, it's still quicker to contour every ~third slice or so and interpolate vs Atlas auto-segment and edit. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: 1 users
I've tried pretty much everything at this point. For contouring MIM is unreal, and if you are the least bit tech savvy very intuitive IMO.

Currently am one of the few who use Monaco. Contouring tools are horrible, but I find everything else to be user friendly. The IMRT optimization was recently refined on a hardware and software level and running plans is much quicker than mentioned above, but still probably lagging behind some other solutions. It is Monte Carlo for whatever that is worth.

Monaco: i actually like it. Dosimetrists do not because it takes longer to plan. my favorite feature is contouring on the video mode for 4dct. New version is better and takes less time to plan.

Eclipse/velocity: great program, love the image deformation

Mim: least favorite, thought it was a complete mess every time i used it

Pinnacle: have never liked it, not user friendly

Raystation: very nice, very user friendly

Monaco: i actually like it. Dosimetrists do not because it takes longer to plan. my favorite feature is contouring on the video mode for 4dct. New version is better and takes less time to plan.

Eclipse/velocity: great program, love the image deformation

Mim: least favorite, thought it was a complete mess every time i used it

Pinnacle: have never liked it, not user friendly

Raystation: very nice, very user friendly

Monaco: despise it. Have to use it with the Electa Unity. The problem isn’t the system per say, it’s just not an intuitive system and I am a semi-techtard.

Raystation: I love it. Best on the market as far as I am concerned. Very user friendly with good algorithms and far less redundancy then Pinnacle.

MIM: also pretty sweet but I have only used it a few times. Love the functionality though.

Monaco: despise it. Have to use it with the Electa Unity. The problem isn’t the system per say, it’s just not an intuitive system and I am a semi-techtard.

Not being able to use Aria/eclipse kept was from going to Elekta machines. Heard mosaiq was a bigger pain in the butt too. Duopolies suck

Eclipse is good and functional IMO. I don't trust deformable registrations on it, so maybe that's where other softwares would be better.